Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S & G Lock

Default Taylor safe & other safes

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    John, your lock looks too small to have been the original and it is highly unlikely a time lock was installed. Unless S&G made a special for Taylor I would say the No. 4 model would be it. Can you post some pictures of other safes you've done? Doug
    Doug if you have the dimensions and or a picture of a No. 4 I would appreciate it. I have done many Diebold banker safes -the most of banker safes. One picture is of a Herring Hall Marvin and the other two are of a Halls with its premier lock the Halls was stripped and left to rust when I got it and it is the smallist bankers safe I have done.

Default Pictures of Safes

I forgot the picturesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	hhm front.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	628.3 KB 
ID:	6397Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3010053.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	689.8 KB 
ID:	6398

Default Safe pictures

I had a problem with a pictureClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P3010058.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	679.2 KB 
ID:	6399 hear is the oldest diebold I have doneClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P9280010.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	916.6 KB 
ID:	6400Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9280012.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	928.9 KB 
ID:	6401

Very nice John, how long have been doing this? Here is a cast iron No. 3 fire proof safe lock that may be similar to the No. 4 Burglary model but I am not positive on that. What were the screw holes in the safe when you got it. I see a triangular pattern typical of some timelocks but there would not be a spindle hole for those models. And the snubber entry holes in S&G timelocks are either too high or too low. Did you drill some of the holes? The dimensions of the No. 4 burglary are in a previous post with the mag and auto pictures I sent. Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN2419.jpg  

Default S & G No. 4

The S&G may fit depending on where the housing ends up. I have rebuilt safes as a side line for about 30 years. For about 12 years now I have focused on antique safes, and bankers safes are the most interesting to me with their presishon -workmanship and high quality locks. This little safe is a converted Diebold interior chest from a very large safe that was going to the scrap yard. I turned it on its side and fitted it with these Diebold locks as a good way to show them.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chest paint and stripe closed.JPG 
Size:	951.6 KB 
ID:	6405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chest paint and stripe open.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	946.8 KB 
ID:	6406

Very creative. And a lot of work. Do you keep them all or sell? Have you been finding these chests in your area. i am surprised to see a Taylor chest made it all the way to NM. Doug

Default Antique Safes

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Very creative. And a lot of work. Do you keep them all or sell? Have you been finding these chests in your area. i am surprised to see a Taylor chest made it all the way to NM. Doug
    I buy the safes from Crags list Ebay safe dealers ect. The Taylor was brought to my attention by a friend of mine in Canada it was on a Canadion version of Crags list in Onterio I had a safe co. pick it up prep it for shipping and then used a shipping broker to get it shipped to me, it cost 600 for the safe 650 for shipping 250 for the safe co. and 275 for customs and the inport tatif. I wanted it because it is the smallest J & J Taylor I or anyone I know has ever seen. I sell most of the safes I restore ,I get a lot of satisfaction out of bringing these wonderfull antiques back to a state of beauty. They come from all over the country and end up all over the country. I make money restoring them but not a lot considering all of the work it takes. This is a MacNeal & Urban that I am finishing up it needs the nickle re done and the lettering, it is made a lot like the safe you showed me with the Sargent automatic. Thanks for the pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA240062.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	910.5 KB 
ID:	6407

John

Thanks for sharing these pictures, it is always a pleasure to see such beautiful work.

Default painted safe

Quote Originally Posted by Parautoptic View Post
    John

Thanks for sharing these pictures, it is always a pleasure to see such beautiful work.
    Thanks for the complement . I enjoy painting and detailing these old marvels of workmanship, the stripping and sandblasting not so much. This is a Diebold automatic safe, I think they look a bit odd without a combination dial on the front.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big_safe_done_6.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	642.1 KB 
ID:	6427Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big_safe_done_7.jpg 
Size:	596.1 KB 
ID:	6428

Thread Information