Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trinity Place bar & restaurant, New York

Hi all,

Ok, so I've posted pictures of the following vaults / safes I've recently seen on my travels;

Old Mutual unused gold vault, Chubb, London
    Silver Vaults of Chancey Lane, John Tann, London
    Milner safe abandoned on pavement, Brighton

The pictures are of my most recent find (which I'm sure is no secret) but I just had to see. So I jumped on a plane over Xmas and went to Trinity Place bar, New York. Sorry about the quality of the photos the lighting was great for ambiance and drinking, but not so good for taking pictures of safe doors! Nice place, didn't get chance to eat there as there was a private function on, but they did do a nice Black Russian to help me sit back and admire the doors. Yes, there is two doors, one each end. Some one had attacked them with fairy lights for the festive period and I think the time locks where missing, but still great to see in the flesh.

IMAG2988 zps204ff249 1

IMAG2987 zps8d106705 1

IMAG2981 zps58ddf185 1

IMAG2980 zpse79c367a 1

Darryl, wish I could have joined for that Black Russian. Here are some more photos. The Mosler district manager should have considered just what was being done to this door. But that is what happens when the knowledge and/or the desire to keep the auto working correctly is lost. Since it is no longer used the defacing is reversible for the most part. Really nice door. Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0175.jpg   DSCN0176.jpg   DSCN0177.jpg   DSCN0183.jpg   DSCN0185.jpg  

DSCN0192.jpg  

There are more details elsewhere on this web site, see http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...hlight=trinity.

Trinity Place is certainly one of my top places to visit some day in New York City, along with Bobby Van's, the Capital Grille, the Federal Reserve Bank, the Mossman Collection, and 510 Fifth Avenue. Maybe we should organize a two-day vaultophile guided tour .

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    Maybe we should organize a two-day vaultophile guided tour .
    I like the idea! Could any lockoholic attend?

When I suggested a vaultophile tour I was being semi-humorous, but some seriousness (for any and all) was there as well. There are several other places in NYC that have vaults but which are not openly viewable (e.g. 23 Wall Street, the Woolworth Building, Doug MacQueen's mysterious "lower Manhattan" post several years ago (and I'm not criticising his choice not to specify the exact location)) for which a serious viewing could possibly be arranged. This is probably much more work to organize than it's worth.

Back to the Trinity vault, it's a bit odd. It looks like there are two modern Mosler 302/402 locks (not surprising given the age of the door and the probability that parts had to be replaced), a missing timelock, and a huge automatic bolt motor. A real mixed mess of equipment. I wonder if it was originally a fully automatic mechanism, then later altered to a more common two-lock-and-timer arrangement. A really serious visit might include comparing the two big doors (with careful photography, I've noticed things in my own photos I never noticed in person), as well as a trip to the emergency door.

Not a bad idea. I was "hoping" to get both the Lancaster show and the Lock Museum show this year. Possibly co-ordinated with one of those two shows would work for several people since neither is all that far from NYC. Of course when I have gone to Manhatten I feel like tourist in a foreign land, being the Mid-West country bumpkin that I am.

That HHM round door would have definitely been full auto. Doug

Default Trinity Place Bar

Is there a show in Lancaster this coming summer? How can I find out more info on east coast shows?? Is there a magazine that I should be getting, or books that you can suggest that I buy.......I have been collecting for over 30 years, but mostly going by the seat of my pants, my eye, & my wallet. I am only a lover of neat locks & am not a locksmith..........I have Frank Arnell's books & one on push key locks...

Any other groups where I may find info on my Gougler round face collection of combination padlocks.. I have about a dozen that I would like to find combinations for..Not asking for handouts, but would pay to get combo's for these.....Donnie

http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...ation-requests

Donnie You don't need to think it is a hand out but if it would make you feel better I bet he would take a drink if you two should meet or maybe keep an eye out for his type of locks he collects. follow the directions in the post above.

I would love to go on a tour of those places if I could get away for a while at the right time.

Thanks for the interest on my thread guys!

I'd love to go on a tour round the vaults in the US! Lets do it!

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    When I suggested a vaultophile tour I was being semi-humorous, but some seriousness (for any and all) was there as well.
    A NYC Vaultophile tour is a great idea! I vote for having it in the summer and starting or ending it in Toronto to include One King West and Commerce Court North?

Thread Information