Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Antique Diebold Safe

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with an old Diebold safe that has been in my possession for many years. It was being used at my place of employment and they needed a larger safe. They were going to have this one hauled away and scrapped. Since nobody knew where it came from and nobody claimed ownership, they let me have it. I worked my way through college as a locksmith and have an appreciation for locks and safes and couldn't bear to see this thing have such an end.

I am in the process of selling my house and don't relish the idea of paying to have this thing moved again. My hope is that whomever buys the house will want the safe too, and I can just leave it here. Nevertheless, I would like to know something of its history and value, if any.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1023.JPG   IMG_1028.JPG   IMG_1041.JPG  

Our shops have two of those in two different showrooms. We have a price tag of $4,000 each but that is because they are show pieces to go with the rest of the safes on the floor. If someone wanted them they are going to pay well for those two as the owner doesn't want to really sell. The two we have were made about 1900-1910.

But in the real world it will come down to do both the inside and outside dial locks work? Do you have any problems opening and closing ether door? We can see the paint job is in readable shape so could be redone if someone wanted to do so. The value will come down to what someone will pay. I hope that Doug will chime in on this as he is knows more about how safes sell out there.

Hi Dean,

Thanks for the quick reply. Both locks work fine as does the mechanism on the dynamite safe.

Gerald, nice safe, too bad you can't take it with you. Not that many have money chests inside and original paint. That March 27, 1877 patent was issued to William Butler for the curved door corners. I have wondered for a long time exactly when Diebold started using this feature and now we know. Butler was a prominent New York safe maker (Valentine & Butler) and if I am not mistaken, became a Diebold dealer by the 1880's. I would say your safe is definitely pre- 1900's and since it has the patent cut off (offset drive) no earlier than 1885. The anti-dynamite patent was also 1885 and is the free spinning handle, engaged only after the comb is unlocked. Placing dynamite against the doors in the hopes of breaking or displacing the lock and/or timelock became a popular attack method in the later 70's and 80's.

I think a fair price would be a couple thou, but in your situation it could be a bit less. Doug

Did you ever sell this safe?

Quote Originally Posted by bcsvil View Post
    Did you ever sell this safe?
    A friend of mine took it off my hands. I was moving and needed to move it fast. He appreciates things like this and is caring for it well. Plus, he paid half the bill for moving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
    A friend of mine took it off my hands. I was moving and needed to move it fast. He appreciates things like this and is caring for it well. Plus, he paid half the bill for moving it.
    OMG, I just came across this thread.
    Sir, I would have bought that from you. I love those old safe within a safe models. It is very rare. Well I hope your friend appreciates it. I would have paid cash on the spot (depending on your location, of course).
    Beautiful safe!!!!

Thread Information