Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Personally, I like to keep mine in the same condition that I found them, to show what they really went through.
    John, Very few of my locks are "rebuilt/restored". That being said, I do clean them up and get them working if at all possible, but I don't polish them or remove any patina. If anything, on locks I do rebuild I have ways of restoring the patina to any areas that are damaged during the rebuild process. All the locks in my collection that I keep and display have working keys or combinations. A nonworking lock to me is just a paper weight
    Mark A. Billesbach

Hey John,

Interesting to hear that you like to keep them like they are, I have a friend in Britain who thinks the same way than you!

The procedures you have mentioned Dean are very interesting but also very expensive and needs a seperate work environment. I would like to try it but do not have the money nor the space to do it right at the moment. As also said before I usually leave the locks like they are but clean the dirt and rust of as best as possible and oil them afterwards to contain them and keep them in a good working condition. I am however not a big fan of rust and would like to try your methods on locks which you either can take apart or have a second one to try. I think Oldfast has some some expierience with elctrolysis.

Did you ever use those methods and do you have any examples? Pictures?

I would also like to try the Locksaver you have mentioned but was not able to find a european dealer for it yet, any idea?

The rust removal I use an model train transformer, a large bolt and a container for the liquid that fits the object suspended so it doesn't take much room except when it is in use and even then it is 1.5 sq ft maybe.

Yes the soda blaster can take up a bit of room with the plastic sheeting I setup for my tent on my work table as I don't have a booth. But I set it up and then when done take it down. But the soda bottle and air compressor are the larger items long term in my garage and I use the air compressor for other stuff. Both were cheap at about $125 US for the compressor and $300 for the bottle but I could have gone with the smaller one like this one.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog.../category/426/

I don't have any pictures and I am not going to do any locks for at least 5 months as I am getting ready to teach some classes right now and that is taking a good deal of my time along with getting ready for my own tests that I need to study for.

You could email the company and find out if they deal direct or have someone over there.... or you could find out if they need someone as a business opportunity.

Thread Information