Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Yale Single Automatic Bolt Operating Device No 3

No 3 1084 Stockwell's Fowler Patents: July 16, 1878-Sept. 2, 1879-May 19, 1885-May 21, 1889-Two patents
    Would desire to know the 'skinny' on this lock and it's value. Thank in advance for your input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5.JPG   4.JPG   2.JPG   1 close up for add.JPG  

Here is a typical application for the No. 3 Auto. Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yale No. 3 Auto.jpg  

As you can see there is a timelock sitting above the automatic bolt motor. It acts as the trigger to retract the door bolts once the timelock has run down. Although the No.3 is a small one, automatic bolt motors can be very dangerous to open up, especially the larger ones. The springs are under a heavy pre load . Basically they are just a spring box and a linkage setup. They were popular from the 1890's up into the 1920's and were developed as protection against nitro attacks, as they did not require a spindle hole through the door. If you do a search on here for Burton Harris or S&G automatic, I posted several pictures of one dis-assembled. Doug

Thank you Doug for the valued information. I did visit the Burton Harris page, amazing. Now that I have a, somewhat, clearer understanding of this devise, would it be considered a collectable item? If so, it's value.
    Thank you
    jdavis

This lock has been sold and a 'thank you' to all members.

Thread Information