Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Keys for old Samsonite/Schwader luggage locks...

Hello,

I'm trying to find out if there is a feasible way to get a key made for an old (1940's tp '50's) Samsonite/Schwader luggage lock.

Have a few luggage pieces missing the key. Or is there another way, short of lock picking, to make the lock workable?

Thanks for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by rick1959 View Post
    Hello,
    I'm trying to find out if there is a feasible way to get a key made for an old (1940's tp '50's) Samsonite/Schwader luggage lock.
    Have a few luggage pieces missing the key. Or is there another way, short of lock picking, to make the lock workable?
    Thanks for your time!
    An image of the lock would be helpful, any code number found on the lock? There are many pre-cut luggage keys available and although many are now discontinued an olde time locksmith can likely be of assistance. Also, if you have a code as are often found on trunk locks, a key could be made from that number.

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    An image of the lock would be helpful, any code number found on the lock? There are many pre-cut luggage keys available and although many are now discontinued an olde time locksmith can likely be of assistance. Also, if you have a code as are often found on trunk locks, a key could be made from that number.

Pete Schifferli
    Thank You Pete!

Here are a few pictures of thr lock, key and works.

Sadly I've found no number on the lock after looking everywhere.

Samsonite sent me a few keys to try, but no success.

If there were a way to create a master key...I suppose that's not likely.

And I've yet to find llocksmith in south Florida able to help.

In sincere appreciation, Rick :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LOCK1.jpg   LOCK2.jpg   LOCK3.jpg  

Default The photo of the key....

The key pictured was one of the keys from Samsonite.

It was one of two keys they gave me to try. This one fit the lock but didn't open or close mechanism. So it's the right shape, just the wrong cut.

Thanks for your time.... :-)

Default Keys for old Samsonite/Schwader luggage locks...

There not lot of locksmith carry the key for any luggage. They don't have people coming in lot to have them cut key. I do know that some locksmith any set of tryout key for it but that would be hard to find one that does. Just have to find lock shop that caryy luggage key only if i find something that may help.....Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    There not lot of locksmith carry the key for any luggage. They don't have people coming in lot to have them cut key. I do know that some locksmith any set of tryout key for it but that would be hard to find one that does. Just have to find lock shop that caryy luggage key only if i find something that may help.....Tim

Thank You Tim! :-)

Default Keys for old Samsonite/Schwader luggage locks..

I check everything about the Luggage key as so far like i said not a lot of locksmith carry luggage key. Best way to go just have to look into web-site that said locksmith carry or cut luggage key. Or can see if get a replacement lock for it. Also can look up where they sell luggage shop as some may carry the key for it. The last of not so sure that these TSA key not sure if it would work or not. Good luck just keep looking....Tim...

I check everything about the Luggage key as so far like i said not a lot of locksmith carry luggage key. Best way to go just have to look into web-site that said locksmith carry or cut luggage key. Or can see if get a replacement lock for it. Also can look up where they sell luggage shop as some may carry the key for it. The last of not so sure that these TSA key not sure if it would work or not. Good luck just keep looking....Tim...
    Thank You Tim!

I'll likely keep it as is, unless I run across a key that works or a locksmith who can help. Bought the case knowing I would likely not find a key for it. I did find I can "pick" the lock open and closed. So the lock works, just not operable "on the go". Not sure I'd want someone to see me picking the lock in public.

Thanks much for your help!! Best, Rick :-)
    :-)

Timothy, point of information: integrated TSA (Travel Sentry Approved) luggage locks were not introduced until 2004. The poster stated his Samsonite locks date to ca. 1940!

Pete Schifferli

Not many left,but older hardware stores and auto parts stores use to have displays with precut luggage keys of assorted types
    older locksmiths had displays to,
    you might wiggle your key and see where it marks and file it just a tad
    if the cuts are already to deep this will not work

Thread Information