Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The first video is also up now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hdkusZKHgY

Default nice lock

Nice to see an old ball bearing padlock, was surprised to see wafers? picking that takes less then a Minuit!! but because ball bearing, mean the shackle is crow bar proof. nice example.

American still makes these locks as the model L50. Here is the link to the PDF for anybody that wants it. When it opens, right click and select "rotate clockwise" ;) http://db.tt/bxaHwiHG

Quote Originally Posted by Riyame View Post
    American still makes these locks as the model L50. Here is the link to the PDF for anybody that wants it. When it opens, right click and select "rotate clockwise" ;) http://db.tt/bxaHwiHG

They also make a model H10. The H10 is similar in shape to the standard 700, just a little smaller.
    BBE.

Very cool thanks for the info guys!

Oh the wafers... I originally meant it the other way around and got mixed up with the translation sorry.. So the low cuts on the wafers should be the cuts for the high cuts on the key and also the other way around. If I am correct.

Okay here are the last pictures after cleaning everything up now. The wafers are clean now and I also cleaned the core of them and the spring + body a second time. I have already taken the core back together and will reassemble the padlock soon (After putting some new synthetic grease on oil on it). After taking another look at the Actuator I think Alex was right you can probably manipulate it with a bypass tool but no one will try it on this one :)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 004.Junkunc padlock restored.JPG   004.Junkunc padlock restored (2).JPG   004.Junkunc padlock restored (3).JPG   004.Junkunc padlock restored (4).JPG   004.Junkunc padlock restored (5).JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by dicey View Post
    Okay here are the last pictures after cleaning everything up now. The wafers are clean now and I also cleaned the core of them and the spring + body a second time. I have already taken the core back together and will reassemble the padlock soon (After putting some new synthetic grease on oil on it). After taking another look at the Actuator I think Alex was right you can probably manipulate it with a bypass tool but no one will try it on this one :)
    That 'blade' tumbler cylinder, (that's what they call it in the factory), was invented and patented in 1926. You can see it at patent number 1,607,758. That patent also shows the shape of the current H10 model. It is interesting that your lock had two tumbler springs as current product only has one. Were the springs both inserted with the coil end first? If so, maybe it was a mistake during assembly.

If you examine that cylinder carefully you can note that it is actually an assembly of three components. The plug is made in two halves and the cap is swadged in place to make the assembly permanent.
    BBE.

Thanks BBE you really seem to know a lot about these old padlocks :)

The springs were inserted as pictured one with the coil and first the other with the coil and last and reaching just a little a bit out of the core.

Do you know if this was one of the first padlocks being mass produced with ball bearings or were there others before Junkunc?

What about that nail that stuck in the spring, I can not find that at the drawing in the locksmith ledger just recognised
    As you can see in the pictures it was stuck in the spring but I can not remember if it was facing downwards into the body or into the hole of the shackle.

Quote Originally Posted by dicey View Post
    What about that nail that stuck in the spring, I can not find that at the drawing in the locksmith ledger just recognised
    As you can see in the pictures it was stuck in the spring but I can not remember if it was facing downwards into the body or into the hole of the shackle.
    The part that appears to be a nail was in the lock with the point aimed at the shackle. Its purpose is to prevent the shackle spring from twisting as it compresses. It is not present in current production locks.

It is interesting about the coil tumbler springs. The way they were loaded would make operation of the key more efficient. Current production only uses one spring loaded coil first and with some combinations if the lock is held a certain way the spring will let some tumblers fall outward keeping the plug locked.

Junkunc Brothers American Lock Co. is credited with inventing the ball bearing locking shackle. In fact at one point in the 1980's at an ALOA convention they gave away T-shirts that bore the phrase "We've Got Balls".
    BBE.

Thread Information