Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default York Safe With Two S&G Locks

I have a York safe with two 4 number S&G locks. It has an outer lock, of course, but then there is a smaller stepped door inside the top that also has a combination lock just like the main door. When you unlock the combination, you pull down a lever that moves the door straight out before you can swing it open. The inside of this smaller door is beautiful stainless steel (looks like at least, no rust). Just under this inner combination door are three wood drawers with key locks. The entire safe is in beautiful original condition with not one but two keys for each drawer and also the original sign-off card for the cabinet work and lock work from October, 1929. Above the main door is a UL label for burglar proof tested.
    I am wondering why the smaller inner door with the combination lock? Years ago I heard about a "gem safe" and I wonder if this could be something like that. I have it in my music room with my player piano and antique Victor Victrolas as well as 100 year old oil lamps and it fits right in. I don't really need a safe but I got it back in the 70's from a used furniture store because it grabbed my attention with its beautiful condition. I keep house and service discharge documents in the "little" safe and tax returns in the main safe just so it has something to do! I am not a safe or lock collector but I joined this forum to see if someone might have some information about this safe that I have had so long - and really know nothing about.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated on this old but still working safe!
    Thanks,
    Bryant

Pictures are always helpful.

It's not uncommon for an older safe to be basically a lockable fire-resistant box, but inside that a heavier, burglar-resistant compartment. The safe might contain business records, for example, then the inner compartment might contain cash/metals/jewels or whatever. It just depends on how the customer wants to use the two different areas.

Here are some pictures to help with the condition of the safe. Not in brand new condition but pretty good considering it is 83 years old now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails York Safe-1.jpg   York Safe-2.jpg   York Safe-3.jpg   York Safe-4.jpg   York Safe-5.jpg  

Very nice indeed, it looks to be in excellent condition.

Default A Couple More Pics

These didn't come through the first time. Shows inner door open.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails York Safe-6.jpg   York Safe-7.jpg  

This safe looks fantastic, I wish that I had one like it.......

Thread Information