Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Help on dating a Tuto Padlock with double bitted key

Hey guys, (and maybe also girls)

I recently bought a nice old padlock on Ebay for about 8 € (Euro) and was not able to find any information on that padlock or the manufacturer. Any idea how old this padlock is? Any information on the manufacturer or if their padlocks were any good?

I will also upload a video on the padlock soon and hope that you could help me.

Thanks!

Adrian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000.Old Tuto Padlock.JPG   000.Old Tuto Padlock (2).JPG   000.Old Tuto Padlock (3).JPG   000.Old Tuto Padlock (4).JPG   000.Old Tuto Padlock (5).JPG  

000.Old Tuto Padlock (6).JPG   000.Old Tuto Padlock (7).JPG   000.Old Tuto Padlock (8).JPG  

Based on how it is made I would guess sometime between 1905-1960. I can tell you it is not US made.

Thanks Dean,

And also sorry I forgot to mention what is written on the padlock:

Tuto
    ELZETT (If I get that one right)
    Made in Hungary

Atleast we know where it is made.

http://www.kaba-elzett.hu/en/Product...tml#&slider1=1

That lock company is now owned by Kaba. That lock is no longer made by them. The bad news is once they have been taken over the chance of anyone there knowing anything is nill in most cases.

To bad :(

Thanks for the info mate! I just cleaned it out a little and will oil it in a few days. I kinda like this one :)

The video is now also up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3kCAFCtpwc

I was able to get some information with the support of a fella collector enjoy:

Elzett Tuto Padlock

• Preparations for the production started in 1931
    • The actual production started in 1941
    • Due to World War II the Germans needed lots of steel and therefore it was hard to acquire steel for locks.
    • In 1942 they were able to obtain some steel for the production of keys and they continued producing

Padlocks with the double bitted keys were probably made by Elzett until 1980. Judging by Roberts experience the one that I have could be early 70's (condition and design). It came in different sizes. The one that I have seems to contain 7 levers which are not spring loaded but there also is a smaller version of this padlock containing 5 levers. The metal on the padlock is pressed together and not riveted which made the body stronger against attacks. The locking bolt is spring loaded.

(Source: Robert Grindelwald)

Hey everyone,

I have just been able to acquire some more information due to the support of a fellow YouTube member:

"HI there , It is a 1930's model made by my grandfathers company. He was Lazslo Zoltan hence LZ or spelt "Elzett". We have very little information as he and the history was lost with the second world war. The company was bought by Sopron then Kaba."

This piece of information was provided by Michael Kaldor, thanks man!

best wishes,

Adrian

That's a great little padlock Adrian, love that double-bitted key and a rectangular bow as well- unusual. When I saw the Elzett name I thought bingo! thinking it might explain the unusual Hungarian padlock I posted a while back, but When I looked it's a totally different name. Don't know why but Elzett rang a bell although it's a totally different style of lock, I thought it might be a link to the Hungarian company, but it wasn't to be.
    Anyway cool little padlock and great when you find out info on rare and unusual ones

Hey Max,

thanks man I really appreciate what you just said I always try to find out as most as possible about the history of a padlock even if the company is not known that well. Which makes it a bit more difficult of course. But as you can see YouTube does not only bring people and interests together but also reveals historical information from time to time

Adrian

Thread Information