Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Important note regarding images & posts.

Antique-Locks is an archaeological reference to the world of locks, keys, locksmiths and related physical security items. We explore through these posts every aspect from antiquity to the cutting edge scene today and even speculate on the future. As such the site becomes an invaluable source of documented information through the collective posts, pictures and pdf’s. This is particularly important in today’s world where the printed document is far less common than in the pre-digital era.

We strongly urge members to place pictures and documents on this server thus ensuring the long term usefulness of contributor’s posts. There is nothing more annoying than finding the very topic you are looking for but the link to images has expired, or perhaps displaying something quite different. I know for some that it’s easier to simply link to pictures, say on photobucket or imur and similar sites. Admins and Moderators are kept busy updating posts to ensure the long term usefulness of threads and posts, so do post directly whenever you can. Alternatively for those having difficulty in handling pictures and other attachments do contact me directly, (contact link at the top of every page) when I will do my very best to help make your post as informative and useful as possible.

Finally a reminder that depending on your particular interests there are many other free areas than those available when you first register (although some may require formalities) so do contact The Team if a link you have followed requires tweaking your permissions or an additional password.

Regarding the long term usefulness of threads and posts - Users are advised that:

Any on-topic post users make, or image or other media they place / upload to the server will become part of a permanent record. Links to external storage sites are discouraged since the target, over time could change, making the original thread or post meaningless. Where links are made to external sites the system places a copy on our own server ensuring long term usefulness of the facility.

On topic material will not be removed, edited or hidden once placed on the site, whether answered or not. (Unless off-topic or in contravention of the site rules and then solely at the discretion of the site Administrator)

The reasoning behind this is simple, posts made on the site add to the knowledge base on the site, and if users go to the trouble to assist by answering questions I consider it to be exceedingly bad form for demands to then be made that the posts be removed or deleted.

If anyone is unsure or requires clarification of this policy please PM me directly for advice.

Thread Information