Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Rumors abound ... Street Letter Box Locks

Hi all,

After many years of hearing rumors that the "Street Letter Box Padlocks" were still in use, or that they were discontinued and made obsolete 50 years ago, I finally can set the rumors to rest.

I was driving around just prior to the Hurricane Sandy's arrival on the US's east coast, While sending some postcards (yes, postcards) to friends & family of my galavanting trips, I stopped at a post-office in a VERY rural town somewhere in New England [Town name witheld]. Lo and behold, was one of those padlocks securing the blue US mailbox with a hasp & staple where the built-in postal lock is usually found. I took a picture and will try to upload it when time allows. Goes to show that these things ARE STILL out there, albiet in VERY small quantities.

Take care,
    --Vince

Default Obsolete ?? Street Letter Box Locks

These locks are still in use in probably 30 of 50 states and in hundreds of cities. There are areas within each state that have gone to the Arrow lock, especially towns with greater than 2500 population, but, it would be wrong to say they are obsolete. For example, if you were to drive in a 25 mile radius of Philadelphia you would see nary a one. If you were to drive outside a radius of 50 miles, you would seen one, or more, in nearly every city. Same, same for Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, etc.

Just like the Reg'd Mail padlocks are also still in use and sometimes padlocks with original keys can cause problems to the owners or the persons buying them.

Adrian

I have seen some in Maine and Vermont as of 2016! :-) :-) :-)

The Registered Mail counter padlocks are still manufactured in Washington, DC at the Post Office Lock Shop. When I was there around 10 years ago they said they produced around 25,000 a year.

I didn't see any production for the street letter box locks but I am sure they have some.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    The Registered Mail counter padlocks are still manufactured in Washington, DC at the Post Office Lock Shop. When I was there around 10 years ago they said they produced around 25,00 a year.

I didn't see any production for the street letter ox locks but I am sure they have some.
    BBE.
    Ooops, that should say 25,000.
    BBE.

My recollection is: The USPS acquired Smith & Egge Mfg. Co. and continued the manufacture of padlocks exclusively for the P.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlking View Post
    My recollection is: The USPS acquired Smith & Egge Mfg. Co. and continued the manufacture of padlocks exclusively for the P.O.
    I think you are correct but I have heard of counters being used by Customs, IRS and some other agencies.
    BBE.

Default Street Letter Box Locks are near Obsolete

Since my last post on this subject, 2011, the Mail Equipment Shop (Wash. DC) has been shut down (Jul 2015) and the manufacture of those mail locks still used (primarily locks and keys for post office rented boxes and arrow locks) has been transferred to a private company in the South East. In support of this change, Street Letter Box Locks have been discontinued -- replaced by the (built in) arrow lock. Some SLBLs are still in use but are going fast.

Thread Information