Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Experts - Can you help me identify this lock?

Hello all, I cam here looking for some help.

I'm not a lock guy, (nobody's perfect) I'm a cabinetmaker and furniture maker. I am working on a reproduction of an old tool chest and I am hoping to identify the lock used. I've enclosed the three best pictures of it I have. It appears to be a full-mortise combination box/chest lock from around (give or take 20 years) the turn of the 20th century (I could be off but that seems to be when the chest was made)

I found this site while searching for expert advice and you guys seem to be an amazing resource. If any of you experts can assist me in identifying and possibly locating a lock like this I will be very much in your debt.

Sincerely yours,
    Nick Appert
    Appert Woodcraft

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	133.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	6092Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	6093Click image for larger version. 

Name:	493813720_092684735b_z.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	6094

Nick, can't really tell much from your image but you apparently require a combination chest lock. Yours could have been made by any number of manufacturers but one thing I am certain of is that no such lock is extant. Attached is an image of an Eagle No. 2001 from their 1938 catalog, long obsolete and out-of-business. If you want something functionally equivalent, consider a Combi-Cam lock with hook bolt, see link:
    http://www.combi-cam.com/

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EagleCombinationChestLockNo2001.jpg  

There might be someone that might have one. I will PM you the name and number.

or you could use a box lock which would have a key instead of the dial -they are available new in a variety of sizes.

Nick, I agree finding a key lock would be far easier than a dial model. But if you are determined to stay with the dial, I could make you a brass lock to fit, utilizing a small old dial and ring. Or convert an existing key lock (if you can find one that fits) into a dial combination version. That is one sweet tool chest, by the way. Doug

I would love to have a chest like that!
    Good old quality...

A perfect example of tight tolerances and fine craftsmanship in wood. Quite a testament (and resume) to the skills of its maker. Are the white inlays mother of pearl or a white wood?

If you don't get something from Dean's contact or find one elsewhere, I think Doug's idea/offer to fabricate is the next best way to go. Staying true to form on the craftsmanship and heart of the project might have made the original owner smile. My 2 pennies worth - please, keep the change.
    Best of luck with it.
    Bill

here is a selection of used keylocks found at the Cleveland Key Shop. The length of the faceplate on the smallest is about 2" and the biggest at 4". Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20121107_134129.jpg  

I'd be surprised if it is a mortice lock. As Cleveland shows, there are numerous half-mortice key boxlocks of various sizes. The comlock should only have a small hole for the spindle, so a keylock could be fitted with little cosmetic work needed - a nice brass plate should serve.

Somebody might be able to adapt a com padlock mechanism to a boxlock case, but the new linkplate needed might not be so neat.

If you are being obvious that what you are making is a modern version, it would be fair to use a modern lock. Several of us have suggested keylocks. In Britain, the epitome of quality would have been a Bramah lock, and you should not need to wait too long to find an old Bramah boxlock for sale - they are not vanishingly rare.

However, you could buy a new Bramah box lock. They are available in brass (polished or lacquered) or chrome finish.

Turn-of-the-century US keylocks would have been typically flat steel lever lock with nozzle, from Corbin or Eagle. There are probably a few of them around in the US still. You might buy a cheap box to salvage the lock from it?

Thread Information