Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Sargent & Greenleaf, ID Please!?

This is a Brass Sargent & Greenleaf "Plate Lock??" made in Rochester NY. The Lock Measures 5.5" x 4" x 1.25". The key is 4.5" long. can anyone tell me approximately it's year of manufacture, and or what it was used for?

There are no markings on the exterior other than the word TOP, Inside the case is "Sargent & Greenleaf Rochester, NY".

Any insight would be greatly appreciated...................Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R&E Plate Lock 2.JPG   R&E Plate Lock 1.JPG  

I have a copy of an S&G bank lock catalogue, probably earlier than this lock and there is nothing like it in there, however that is not conclusive.

I would speculate either :

A lock from a grille, or day gate into a vault.

or

A lock from a prison.

Either is quite possible.

Nice lock though - any chance of some pictures of the insides ?

Default S&G ID Please?, Additional Pics.....

Attached are pictures of the inside, all the components, and stampings....The numbers appear to be 482 and 533. I've written to S&G directly, they can't find any records even resembling this Lock, the best they could offer is it's pre 1974 as that's when they moved out of Rochester NY. Based on the S&G Timelime I would imagine it was mfg. somewhere around 1910 or later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S&G Lock Cover.jpg   S&G Lock Body Numbers.jpg   S&G Lock Body Empty.jpg   S&G Lock Cover off.jpg   S&G Lock Levers.jpg  

S&G Lock with Bolt only-1.jpg   S&G Lock Cover off-1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    I have a copy of an S&G bank lock catalogue, probably earlier than this lock and there is nothing like it in there, however that is not conclusive.

I would speculate either :

A lock from a grille, or day gate into a vault.

or

A lock from a prison.

Either is quite possible.

Nice lock though - any chance of some pictures of the insides ?
    I hope this very tardy response can be of some help to the original poster; if not maybe it can help others with similar questions. This is definitely a prison lock, as Oldlocks guessed.

I own a similar lock by Sargent's, and it is in both the 1931 Sargent catalog prison lock catalog and the 1900 catalog (though in a considerably different form).

The 482 on his lock is its model number. It is listed in the '31 catalog as the 480 series. The 82 refers to specific model options, ie malleable iron versus brass, or single side or both side keying, or options for the number of tumblers. A single side lock is probably a cell lock, while a dual side lock was probably used on a sallyport.

Lock model 482 is specifically mentioned in the 1900 catalog, however the lock is somewhat different than yours. The one in the 1900 catalog uses a flat key and has a the lock is flat in appearance, rather than the buttress points at all four mounting corners and the raised circle above the keyhole which appear on yours.

Mine is very similar to yours in appearance, except mine is larger and has a claw bolt. Inside mine is more complicated, due to the claw bolt and the provisions for use in an automatic locking system.

Mine has the same form factor as the 590 series, but the 590 listed in the '31 catalog has a flat a flat appearance rather the buttress points mine and yours have. Each part on mine appears to be stamped with a part number. It is also stamped 39, but I can't find anything about a 39 series in either the '33 or 1900 catalog.

Reprints of these catalogs are available from the WCLCA lock association.
    Books & Catalogs Data

Contact Richard Chenovick rchenovick@juno.com. There is also a 1955 Folger Adams catalog, and probably the single best history on prison locks available, the Yale Prison Lock reference by Don Stewart, also available from Richard Chenovick.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110501_224518.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	269.1 KB 
ID:	4362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110501_224825.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	4363 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110501_224937.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	4364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110501_225207.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	4365Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110501_224918.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	4366