Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Hi from the UK

Default Hi from the UK

Hi all, been interested in locks and keys for as long as I can remember but only recently started to collect locks and take an interest in combination vault locks and military stuff, both UK and US.

I have been fortunate in being allowed access to some of the de-commisioned side of Alconbury airfield, an ex USAFE base, and found some interesting (although probably very common) vault doors with combination dial locks. One of them has been locked since the US left apparently, and it's not set to the default combination, so whatever is inside may have to wait until demolition to be revealed (it's probably just empty though)!

I have to admit that my main interest is in more modern locking systems since the 1950s, which I realise are not exactly antique... I do have some older stuff though mostly in the form of keys, which still come in handy now and again when I am trying to find one for old interior door locks. I never seem to have to try many before I get one that fits.

Anyway nice to be here,
    Alex

Welcome aboard.

We all started somewhere with our collections. Myself I collect cutaways and unit locks. most of my cutaways are in the last 50 years so are just cool not old. My unit locks were made from 1890s thru 1990s so some do qualify for this site, some don't. My main focus here is to help users find what they need and learn myself as it is my craft being a locksmith.

Thanks for the welcome!
    28y29

I think my issue is that high quality modern locks are relatively affordable - whereas older locks are either very expensive, or very basic and low quality (that's a generalisation I know but hopefully people will see what I mean).
    So I like decent locks that are affordable, and they just so happen to be the modern ones.
    I think it's probably fair to say that the Cold War had a significant effect on the availability of lower priced, higher quality locking systems - and if not lower priced then definitely more readily available?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Al View Post
    I think my issue is that high quality modern locks are relatively affordable - whereas older locks are either very expensive, or very basic and low quality (that's a generalisation I know but hopefully people will see what I mean). So I like decent locks that are affordable, and they just so happen to be the modern ones.
    I would disagree on this point. The locks I see out there in the last 30 years for sale are fall into two categories:
    A) Cheap, artsy, low quality.
    B) Quality, well built, older design that hasn't been touched, expensive.
    There are some in between but not much.

Lock makers have been merging together in BIG multinational companies for the last 100 years and there are MUCH fewer lock makers. I don't think we get better things from less different makers. The only good news is that there are a few lock makers have gone into business in the last few decades that are innovating.

As for older locks I think a good portion are a steal. A good deal of the locks made 70+ years ago that are just now being taken off doors and sold are well made to have lasted this long. Unit locks more so. If you adjust for the value of the currency of today to when the lock was made you will see that these locks were expensive then and are cheaper now. Yes this doesn't help us collectors get more locks in our collections but it does explain a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Al View Post
    I think it's probably fair to say that the Cold War had a significant effect on the availability of lower priced, higher quality locking systems - and if not lower priced then definitely more readily available?
    I am not sure that the cold war had much effect on lock design outside cutting off parts of the world from each other and all that entails. The design does have effect on the cost to make and the metals needed are affected by war. All you have to do is look at the V keys made during 1940s. So in some small way the cold war would have an affect in that respect.

My view is that some manufactures of today are hearing the bottom line in some cases. They make the cheap POS that is venereal engineered as I find no value in it and find it a disease in everything you can buy. My father was an engineer that would design process for low defect in a product. He told me 30 years ago that most younger engineer design in a failure in certain time/use frame. It fails they sell more.... disposable. It really started around about 1950 and expanded. I just wish they would make things of metal so I can toss it in the scrap bin to recycle.

In a word of what I find missing: Craftmanship

I suppose so, but I still find things that are engineered to fine tolerances, even though mass produced, are pleasant things.

The "Best" locks that I have are a Mersey 14-lever MOD lock, a related Chubb Manifoil combination, an Abloy Protec (very modern!) and various Ingersoll 10-lever locks. All relatively modern and mass produced, but still interesting. I will certainly continue to collect newer locks before I ever get involved with the much older ones - although I still find them of interest and like to read about them on here.

I agree that something made well is a good thing. There are still a few lock makers out there that do make some wonderful locks. I guess if I lived in a place that still had lever locks I might see some wonderful locks, but I don't here in the states I am sorry to say.

A am sorry for my harsh response. I feel strongly about quality locks. If you enjoy collecting a certain lock you should do so and not feel attacked. Again I am sorry, I should have worded it differently.

Interesting... You may like my YouTube channel mate (hope it is okay when I post that here):

http://www.youtube.com/user/diceman1367?feature=mhee

I have some new videos online and I am really a big fan of tolerances I have to say
    Also you may like my Bode Panzer padlock.

Oh Dean just by the way, I had no luck on the EVVA cutaway yet. I asked them on the security fair in Essen but they were not willing to sell to me because I am not a locksmith.... (strange, Burg Wächter offered me to buy a cutaway safe and EVVA refused GRRRRR)

You want to see the picture of that cutaway safe mate? You will probably like that one mate :)
    If you need one just tell me, but they are really expensive.

If you need one just tell me, but they are really expensive.
    I have one in my shop that I understand was the one that the importers had -magnificent cutaway job.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	burg.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	6096
    Last edited by Tom Gordon; 06-11-12 at 03:10 AM.

I envy you Tom!

Yes that it exactly the one I was talking about, I have attached a detailed picture from the fair. I love the Burg Wächter safes for their quality and tolerances. I do however not understand why the fit them with Secu locks... I am O.K. with the Secu key lock but not a big fan of their electronic locks. Also I don't understand why they fit them with this plastic front. It would probably be possible to produce that front in aluminum and with an aluminum handle as well.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.Burg Wächter MTD 34 S Schnittmodell (4) - Copy.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	6097

Quote Originally Posted by Halflock View Post
    I agree that something made well is a good thing. There are still a few lock makers out there that do make some wonderful locks. I guess if I lived in a place that still had lever locks I might see some wonderful locks, but I don't here in the states I am sorry to say.

A am sorry for my harsh response. I feel strongly about quality locks. If you enjoy collecting a certain lock you should do so and not feel attacked. Again I am sorry, I should have worded it differently.
    No offense taken at all, I see it as all in the spirit of lively debate on a forum where people are passionate about the subject.

28nod29

Thread Information