After a long search I have finally purchased a cannonball safe. It is a Victor, post 1908, bought open with a lost combination. While a little rough on the cosmetic side it is an excellent canidate for a restoration. I have retreived the combination, inspected the mechanics, and searched under the repaint for the original lettering and stripes. It had the common paint scheme for the period. I have a few questions.

Does anyone have a paint code for the light golden green that was used on these safes. I can always have the Dupont computer read the paint but maybe somebody already knows?

That brings up the question... Original color or custom. Here is your chance to voice your opinion, lets hear it!

This Victor seems to be the smallest of the production units standing at 43" with no compartment in the base. I have read that there were 5 sizes, can anyone expand on that?

Are the door and crank nickel plated? If I polish on them I get a steady black residue, so that is what i assume. Would it be more practical to have them replated in chrome? The door also has (engine turning) as does the time lock plate. Is this done on or under the plating? The time lock plate has the pattern much deeper than the door.

I just love this safe. it will make a nice companion to my Briggs & Son http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...ghlight=briggs. I hope to keep this project on the fast track and finish it this summer. Thank you in advance for your help. Ray

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11humc5-1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	7742