Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I had missed that, nice job finding that. There should also be one from from 1912±2 years, maybe I'll find that one some day.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by Brey View Post
    BBE, Did you notice the link I posted above?

http://www.google.com/patents?id=2lp...404968&f=false

Its the patent to a combination JunkUNC padlock. Patented: Jan.31, 1922

@Mark: Some changes made do his design after he filed was what I was guessing but I wasn't sure if it had to be exact. That's good to know!
    @BBE: I don't know if this is the dial padlock Patent you were referring to but I did find one Patented Feb. 1, 1910 from John J. (Link Below)

http://www.google.com/patents?id=S1F...201910&f=false

~Brey

Ah, I just found this one as well.
    This padlock was patented on Oct. 29, 1912

http://www.google.com/patents?id=AMF...201910&f=false

This one and the one I posted in the last reply were the only ones I could find in between 1909-1914

~Brey

WOW, I have had the lock with two raised channels shown in 948,280 for about 8 years and could not find that patent. I typically search at the patent Office web site so looks like I need to switch to Google Patents for better results. The interesting thing is this later patent likely means that the one with the raised channels was only in production for 2 years. Thanks for opening my eyes to Google Patents.

I'll take some pictures once I am moved and find the lock again.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by Brey View Post
    Ah, I just found this one as well.
    This padlock was patented on Oct. 29, 1912

This one and the one I posted in the last reply were the only ones I could find in between 1909-1914

~Brey

Heh, glad I was able to be of some help.

Looking forward to those pictures.

Hopefully I'll have one with this lock open...eventually!

~Brey

I just noticed this 1927 ad at the bottom of that vintage site.

http://vintagecombinationlocks.com/l...PadlockAds.pdf

It includes my padlock amongst them.

~Brey

Default small junkunc combination lock

I have a small Junkunc combination lock, if it has two channels in the rear side I think mine omly has 2 #'s to unlock it...I'll have to check as I haven't played with it for a while
    I got it out , it is 1 1/4 in dia....has #'s 5 to 30 on the dial...2 channels in the rear & the pat date is 1912 to open: you turn to the right twice ,stop at the #, then turn to the left & stop at the second #, you do not pass the 2nd #

this may not be the lock that you have, but that is what I have in my hand.....HTH
    .............Donnie

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    I have a small Junkunc combination lock, if it has two channels in the rear side I think mine omly has 2 #'s to unlock it...I'll have to check as I haven't played with it for a while
    I got it out , it is 1 1/4 in dia....has #'s 5 to 30 on the dial...2 channels in the rear & the pat date is 1912 to open: you turn to the right twice ,stop at the #, then turn to the left & stop at the second #, you do not pass the 2nd #

this may not be the lock that you have, but that is what I have in my hand.....HTH
    .............Donnie
    Donnie,

Thanks for your input. Its great to hear how these forgotten relics turn because that's what I fear that I'm doing wrong.

I think you have a different lock than mine though.

You probably have the one we mentioned before:

In the ad that I posted earlier it shows what might be your lock (5-30) and mine. It suggests that my lock could be opened by a 3 numbered combination or by dialed clicks.

The website that Mark provided displayed a hopeful combination via dialed clicks but it didn't work.
    Unless I'm doing something wrong. I've tried by sound and by touch but no luck.

Then again the # on its shackle reads 8, while mine looks like (1)002. I don't know if that makes a difference though.

I finished going through the 2 #'s...still going through all of the 3 numbered combo's.

Thanks again for the help.

~B

After looking through many, many boxes I found my original 2 number Junkunc Brothers combination padlock, see pictures below. I shot it next to a US quarter which has a diameter of .915". Also took a close up of the legend on the back. The last line of that is still hard to read in the photo but says 'Chicago U.S.A. Style J'. I think it is indeed the 1912 patent 1,042,447.
    BBE.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0043.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	6463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0045.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	6464

Nice! Looks like its in pretty good shape for a 100 yrs

I was wondering if you found it or not when you moved in.

Thread Information