Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Largest Vaults?

GordR45 Guest

Default TelPay Building Winnipeg

Hi back,

Last weekend was Winnipeg's annual 'Doors Open Winnipeg' event and the TelPay Building was one of those open to the public for the event, though otherwise NOT. A friend with a real camera took some pics for me and I think I used my iPhone as well. It was a whirlwind weekend with many, many sites of interest on our itineraray. Got a few shots of the safety deposit vault of the Main Branch of Bank of Montreal, as well as some of the many vaults in the Millenium Centre, the former Western Canada Main Branch of the former Bank of Commerce.

I'll post one or two of the TelPay door.

I don't see a 'Gallery' or 'Photos' tab anywhere where members can simply put up pics of interesting vaults and safes unrelated to specific forum Q & A or topics for discussion.

Cheers,

Gord

Hello!
    Photos can be attached to individual posts - click on "Manage Attachments" in the Additional Options box underneath where you enter text.
    Would be good to see them.

Default Size does matter.....

I get a kick out of collecting pictures of vault doors that I come across on the net.
    I consider a lot of them to be works of art.

I worked on modern doors that had no character - look at this latest acquisition...

mechanical & aesthetic beauty >>>

That double door seems redundant or could the main door lead to other rooms ???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fine Art copy.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by keyedup View Post
    I get a kick out of collecting pictures of vault doors that I come across on the net.
    I consider a lot of them to be works of art.
    Ditto. Remington & Sherman are among the most impressive. The door you posted the image of is also visible in other Adam Crowley images at http://adamcrowley.photoshelter.com/...000bTVhJzA2ZVs.

Late in the 1800's it was felt that splitting up the protection by having a second set of doors to be a good idea in protecting against nitro. Eventually in the 1900's, as the outer doors got heavier to the point of being too thick to successfully blow open, the fairly heavy inner doors morphed into thin day gates. In the case of this Remington Sherman, I think the thick inner doors was a holdover to prior accepted practice. But then again the goal was to make them appear to be impenetrable to the point that you don't even try, because even a small nitro attempt could easily result in a lockout and/or ruining the the door. Doug

Default Largest vault doors?

Not strictly on topic but these claim to be vault doors and they are rather large.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huge-Bronz...item4d0db2e546

I finally found an image of what I think is the largest bank vault, located at 1 Chase Manhattan Plaza. I recently bought a set of Mosler's newsletter "Mosler Messenger" and in the November 1961 issue is an article:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chase Manhattan Bank 2a.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	347.7 KB 
ID:	10400

Other sources claim the vault is 100x350 feet or 35,000 square feet. In older times you could get a tour of the building including the vault but I can't find any mention of this today. The building does not seem to have a web site which is somewhat common for larger buildings these days.

The building was recently purchased by a Chinese company: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/19/ny...laza.html?_r=0

wylk- I think you're onto the right one with this- it was listed in an old Guinness book of Records I had and Chase Manhattan sounds right- try the 1980 edition or possibly 82 or 83- can't remember exactly which one it was, but can remember it made reference to the total floor area and number and weight of the doors etc. The layout of the Guinness books changed drastically afterwards- in favour of the growing number of entries by eating 6000 hamburgers in an hour or bouncing a tennis ball non-stop for 73 years etc, so they lost all of the 'reference' format and appeal- since the record for the 'largest bank vault' is a pretty obscure one I would doubt it's been listed in recent editions, but I haven't looked at one in years so could be worth a try.

Thread Information