Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default F.SENGPIEL'S-PATENT Padlock

Looking for info on the F.SENGPIEL'S-PATENT padlock. Here are some photos of the one I have obtained:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	920c8daf.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	5715 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250d0e3a.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	5716 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90fbdbcf.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	5717

I am looking to know where these came from, how old, what they were used for, and most of all.......how much this beautiful old lock is worth???? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mike
    The Amazing Michael~Escape Artist/Scuba Diver/Locksmith/Lock, Handcuff, and Restraint Collector......and one HELL of a model American! =)

That is a very secure padlock from the looks of the keyway and mechanical construction.
    It will be ineresting to find out about the background.

Some of the antique padlocks used similar mecohanisms found in prison Locks.
    One example is the Chubb Detector padlock with serrated levers, and restricted
    keys. I opened a padlock and found very close machining and fake notches as a
    anti-picking coutermeasure. Some of the Bank Night Deposit Locks have doubled over
    Lever springs to provide an incorrect tension feddback through the lockpick.

Brian ..................................

There is a thread HERE and also its worth keeping an eye on The Knowledge

Sue

Uh uh uh!!!

I wish I had bought that one when I saw it like a year ago on ebay Germany. But there was some other name on the lock cover.. some German name, but I can't remember it. I could go to the German Velbert Museum and ask if any of them has information about this padlock. I was planning on going there this summer anyway!

Or is that not needed?

All information anyone can get and post is ALWAYS welcome. You might find out something that could be very important to someone search.

Default F.SENGPIEL'S-PATENT Padlock

I think I can be of help in identifying the manufacturer of this padlock. I have one very similar, but without the Sengpiel name. Back in 1981 I wrote a letter to the lock museum in Velbert. I received a reply from Herr Oetelshofen who identified it as having been made by the firm of Damm & Ladwig in Velbert. The company was founded in 1886 and was taken over by Yale & Towne in 1927. Notice the similarities - the shape, the key, and that oak leaf on the keyhole cover.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG2353.JPG  

So is it German made??? It looks very well made; I could see where it could be German BUT some characteristics of the lock looks like turn of the century American as well. This is turning out to be a VERY interesting lock! =)

I really want to know a ballpark figure of what this baby is worth.......perhaps I finally made a good lock investment! lol!

"I could go to the German Velbert Museum and ask if any of them has information about this padlock. I was planning on going there this summer anyway!

Or is that not needed?" Yes, any additional info is most certainly welcome.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Mike
    The Amazing Michael~Escape Artist/Scuba Diver/Locksmith/Lock, Handcuff, and Restraint Collector......and one HELL of a model American! =)

Default f. SENGPIEL PADLOCK HISTORY

Since I originally posted a question regarding the origins of "F. Sengpiel" padlocks on this blog I have acquired 45 such locks and concluded a bit of research. For those who are interested, I have posted over 40 locks and historical information on the website MYVIMU.COM ..
    While nearly all the info on the site is in Polish, my pictures have descriptions entirely in English. In the search area, just type in "Sengpiel" and you will see my collection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SENGPIEL-5 SIZES.jpg  

So Gordan, 45 locks,that's impressive! Do you have working keys for all of them? How many different sizes or styles are there?
    Mark A. Billesbach

Gordon, I am very impressed at how well made this lock is. The key is very nice as well......the barrel is SO BIG!!! I love the acorn and leaf on the keyway cover too.

I don't know what size mine is but it is about 5 inches high, 3 inches wide, by 1 inch thick. It is in perfect working order and has not been cleaned up at all. This lock IS for sale if you are interested! I have to buy a new regulator set for scuba diving and they are EXPENSIVE!!! I am fund raising for that little endeavor right now and am parting with a few pieces to buy it. What do you think a fair price would be for mine???

Mike

Thread Information