Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Glass "DEATH TO YEGG'S" item

I have acquired this unusual item of glass, and would like input as to what you all think it was used for.

It is a Robins Egg blue with color variations through out. The markings are raised and read as follows:

DANGEROUS

DEATH TO YEGG'S
    PAT.MAR.7-1922

BURGLAR PROOF LOCK
    COMPANY

U.S.A.

It measures 4 3/16" at the top from left to right.
    4 5/8" top to bottom, and 2 3/16" left to right at the lower part with the writing on it.
    It has a cast hole of just 15/16" and is 1 9/16" high at the top and 1" at the bottom.

On the under side it has a "shelf" that is very crisp and appears to be made to hold an insert of some type.

OK, now what was it used for ? Feel free to make wild guesses...that's what I've been doing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1068 (Large).JPG   IMG_1069 (Large).JPG   IMG_1071 (Large).JPG   IMG_1072 (Large).JPG   IMG_1073 (Large).JPG  

IMG_1075 (Large).JPG  

To hold tear gas (or similair) in a safe door ???

Default RE: Glass item

"Yegg" was an old slang term for BURGLAR.

While I don't see in the drawings the item you have, it is clearly described as a vessel of frangible material to hold a toxic liquid, which is to be released upon the use of explosives upon a safe's door or lock.

US Patent numbers: 1408494 / 1408495

What makes me very certain that this is what it is, is the presumed inventor by the name of Walter C. Beckwith.
    This guy has TONS of patents credited to his name, everything from Railroad signaling devices to chemical agent to boobytrap parts and trips. An interesting point, is that MOST of his inventions seem to share a common thread: They either combust, ignite, emit, or injure someone. While Mr. Beckwith was simply inventing things to solve problems encountered in his day, he would CERTAINLY be labeled a TERRORIST if inventing a small fraction of what he came-up with in the modern era of today!

Hope this helps some,
    --Vince O--O

PS: If I'm not mistaken, didn't that blue glass thing come from a glass museum that recently went belly-up? Or are there many of these things floating around out there?

My best guess as to the patent is US 1,408,494 "Bank Vault and Safe Protector" based on the patent date and the assumed use as a gas dispenser. But it doesn't look right.

Per wikipedia, the Burglar-Proof Lock Company later became the well-known Segal Lock and Hardware Company.

That blue glass is certainly an odd piece. Almost like it was for advertising. I looked at the patent referred to and the thing that struck me was the fact that it was designed to be applied on the outside of the door. I seen quite a few different tear gas protectors and they all were installed inside the door. Possibly the glass was an added solely as a warning.

On a related note, it is not well known but Lewis Lillie and his son both had patented burglary protections using explosives and poison gas held within the safe bodies, back in the 1870's. According to Lillie about 30 of these safes were made while the factory was located in New Jersey. Doug

Default Thanks guys

Yes, Vince, this did come from the closed glass museum in Maine. Their records only show the purchase date, amount and basic description of the item. I had hoped that someone out there would have an advertisement or photo of this in use. I've contacted other glass museums and no one yet has seen another of these.

I still hold out hope that someone out there has another one and more details.....

Thanks so much guys for the research and info.

Thread Information