Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Unusual key or just broken?

Hello friends... I found this key, sorry the pic is not very good, I first thought it is just broken but because it is symmetrical I thought maybe it is a key style that I just haven't came across till now.
    Any ideas?
    Thank you!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cheie.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	5898

also I saw somewhere else on the internet the same kind of "broken" key, but can't seem to find the link again.

er....it doesnt look symmetrical in the picture.

I have seen a few old Warded keys truncated like this.
    One was a bronze (non-sparkling) key used for a ammunition storage Room.
    It seems to be a custom alteration to the original key perhaps?

Brian ........................................

The key is to a 5 lever lock with a simple side ward The bullet ward stops the key from passing through the lock .
    Certain wire bows , if split in the middle and folded outwards, would create the shape of the bow in question.

Intertesting reply WhiteKnight.
    I would like to learn more so could you inform me of:
    -Which one is the bullet ward ?
    -How does the bullet ward stop the key from passing through the lock case ?
    -Which cut is for the bolt lever ?

Brian ............................................

In this instance, the ‘Bullet’ ward is the horizontal groove machined into the Blade / Flag of the key .The keyway will be shaped so that a small protrusion will fit into the groove as the key enters the lock. The keyway on the other side of the lock is similarly shaped. If both keyways are viewed from one side of the lock, then the far side keyway will appear mirror imaged. Because of this the key cannot pass through the far side of the lock.
    If you number the steps (bitting) of the key, 1 to 7, left to right. When the key has entered the lock, (let us say the outside of a door.) Depending on which way the door is mounted , then steps 1, 2,3,4,5, operate the levers. Step 6 does nothing and step 7 operates the bolt. If the key is used from the inside, then steps 7, 6,5,4,3, operate the levers. 2 does nothing and 1 operates the bolt.

Thanks for the explanation. Previously I didn't understand the interchangable terminology for the different uses of Case Wards, Keyhole Wards and the alternative of 'Bullet' side Key Wards. The key shown has a Tip Stop, instead of the Shoulder Stop used on some other Warded keys. Although in contrast I have a few Plate Locks mounted in hartdwood blocks which use keys without either the Shoulder or Tip Stop.

It seems that a metal plate was used on top of the Plate Lock wood to act as a Stop for the key? I made a brass keyhole for the inside of the door and it stopped the key from over shooting the proper position to work the Bolt by lifting the Bolt Detent Lever.

[QUOTE=Brian Denyer;9313]Thanks for the explanation. Previously I didn't understand the interchangable terminology for the different uses of Case Wards, Keyhole Wards and the alternative of 'Bullet' side Key Wards. The key shown has a Tip Stop, instead of the Shoulder Stop used on some other Warded keys.

'BULLET WARD' is the preferred English term for a warded keyhole - any shape other than a plain slot. 'Case ward' is the US term, which can also be confused with English 'sash ward'. This is a bush inserted into the inside of the keyhole of warded (and some lever) locks, requiring cuts down the front/back edges of the bit (flag, US).
    This key has a small sash ward acting as a bush to support the key, and this is sometimes called a 'collar ward'. Bridge wards usually also have a collar ward.
    Bulletted keyholes usually do not allow a bit key to pass right through, as mentioned above, and therefore do not actually need a collar on the key - European keys commonly do not have a collar.

This key puzzles me too. It looks a broken wirebow, but it is not common for British two-sided keys not to have collars, even if there is a bullet ward. This is, anyway, uncommon on 4- or 5-lever locks. It's mainly seen on 2- and 3-lever ones, and warded locks. Is it French/other European?

Thread Information