Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gougler Padlock Combination

I need the combination to a Gougler combination lock, #8141 stamped on the shackle. I believe this lock was originally used for a school locker, as it has a slot for a control key. Also, are control keys or patterns for them available anywhere? Any info would be appreciated, Bill S.
    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123110_02.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	667.2 KB 
ID:	3970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123110_01.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	624.2 KB 
ID:	396928happy29

Bill, we would be happy to work with you, but first you'll need to follow this request, Mark
    http://www.antique-locks.com/miscell...-requests.html
    Mark A. Billesbach

Default Gougler padlock combination

Please see revised images below. Sorry, I overlooked your requirement for my name and the 'antique-lock' website noted on the photos the first go-round.

Also, this lock is the type without dial stops; the dial can be turned all the way around. And, the control key is the 'flat' type.

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated. Bill S.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01 01 11_1576.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	437.9 KB 
ID:	3977Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01 01 11_1577.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	463.0 KB 
ID:	3978

OK Bill,first off the control key is almost impossible to find as there are so many different designs. I made one for mine,but the lock was apart when I made it. Anyway back to your origional request, Turn left one full revolution to zero, then go R2-L3-R6-L3-R5. Let us know if this works, Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Bill, here a few pics of mine with my homemade control key
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gougler control key lock 001.jpg   Gougler control key lock 002.jpg   Gougler control key lock 003.jpg   Gougler control key lock 004.jpg   Gougler control key 002.jpg  

Gougler control key 003.jpg  
    Mark A. Billesbach

I don't own any control keys, but here are a few relevant images. The first is of a Gougler with the back removed; you can think of these as a simple warded lock that operates in polar coordinates if you remember trig from school. The next is an early Gougler key that was made from brass and cut on a machine. The last is of a later key that was stamped (not shown at the same scale).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GouglerInside.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	4000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GouglerBrassKey.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	4001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GouglerStampedKey.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	4002

Default Gougler Padlock

Mark and Wylk: Much thanks to you both of you for the replies.
    Control Key: The photos are great and with them showing me how the control key actually works, I can probably make a control key. At least I will try.
    Combination: Mark, the combination number that you provided will not work. This is my wife's old high school lock, {as was Willy's in another recent inquiry}, but my wife cannot remember the combo to save her neck. She does seem to think the first number, R2, is correct. She also raised the possibility that the lock may have only 4 digits, not 5. Can you provide any other combination possibilities?
    Other: In the remote possibility that it may be of some help, she used the lock at Washington Irving HS in Clarksburg, West Virginia, 1958-1962. This would likely be of more help in finding a control key code number.
    Anything you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Bill S.

Bill, unfortunatly the codes listed in the book aren't always correct. Double check the number on the bail again and make really sure it is indeed 8141.

---------- Post added 02-01-11 at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-01-11 at 11:56 PM ----------

Bill, another thought is that we won't be able to come up with a code if the locks were coded for that school. It looks like Gougler would make a group of locks for a school with propietary codes and a control key that would open all of them. That way if the student lost their combo the school could look it up and the student could still use their lock. The control key would allow the school to search any students locker without having to go look up every combo. Good luck with making a control key, but even if you get a key made to open it, there would still be no way to reset or read the combo
    Mark A. Billesbach

Default Gougler Lock Combo

Mark:

The number stamped on the shackle is without a doubt 8141. Your last note likely explains why your combination does not work, if they made special coding for a particular school system. Upon closer examination under a bright light, I do also notice the number 26 stamped on the right side of the case, which is likely the control key number and/or possibly the coding number assigned to that particular school system {Harrison County, WV}.

Much thanks for your efforts; I hope this did not take too much of your time. I did learn several interesting things, though. Bill S.

Bill,I'm sorry we couldn't be of help,but about 5% of the requests end up being for a propietary coded lock that no one has the codes to. Gougler has been out of business for some years and I'm not sure what ever happened to their records, but even if they had them archieved,they probably wouldn't release them. Mark
    Also as a side note,on mine the code wasn't listed either,but as I said before,someone had pried the back off mine. I took it all the way apart to see what made it work and figured out the code from the inside. Then before putting it all back together I laid out a template out of stiff card stock for a control key and proceded to fabricate one out of steel on my work bench. I reassembled the lock and used JB Weld to glue the rivet heads back in place.
    Last edited by oldbiscuit; 02-01-11 at 02:12 AM.
    Mark A. Billesbach

Thread Information