Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default edwards mfg combo

hi have tried the velvet mallet but have no result , could anyone who has this kind of combo padlock send me a picture of the opening from the top view of their working open lock. I have used a broken key pick to tease something forward and would like to compare them both thanking you all in advance. having problem posting a pic of mine at the moment gus
    Edwards mfg padlock morphing into a paperweight

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SAM_0179.JPG  

Here's a couple pics of one of mine that works with a 4 number combo. Look closely at my shackle compared to yours. Also it looks like there's something in the hole on your lock on the right side? Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edwards combo lock 001.jpg   Edwards combo lock 003.jpg  
    Mark A. Billesbach

thanks for the quick reply Mark, please explain my /your shackle?, also what will happen if you leave the shackle open and you press the left hand side of the opening what shows or happens could you do that without any damage to your lock please. thanks again gus

Gus, What I was refering to on the shackle was the very end that has the hook for the lock up. I couldn't enlarge your picture to see if it is worn or bent out. It should look like mine.I had one lock that the hook was worn pretty bad and it could be pulled open. I recut the flat on the hook and bent the shackle in just a hair and it worked like it was supposed to. As far as if the levers should move with the shackle open, I'm not sure at this time as I'm at work and the lock is at home. I'll check it out tonight and let you know. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

thanks for the quick reply Mark, please explain my /your shackle?, also what will happen if you leave the shackle open and you press the left hand side of the opening what shows or happens could you do that without any damage to your lock please. thanks again gus

Gus, By left hand side, I assume you mean the side closest to the hinge side of the shackle. The exposed ends of the levers in the hole don't move unless the shackle is closed or almost closed. With the shackle open the levers are solid. If yours move, it's a pretty good indication that someone has forced it open and probably damaged it internally.
    Mark A. Billesbach

Default Edwards mfg combo

hi Mark, my levers don't move and I can still close the shackle. May I trouble you for another request can you make a rough sketch on what the inside may look like, thanking you for all this trouble. gus

Gus, Sorry,but I really don't know what the insides look like. I have one lock that someone prior to me getting it had tried to drill out the center rivet. I always thought that someday I would take it apart and make a cutaway lock out of it, but I have to many other projects to do first. It may have to wait until I get my new shop completed. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Default Edwards mfg combo

Hi Mark,thanks for all your help and others , sorry for being so demanding, I will continue with this project ,and hope all goes well with the shop. Thanks again gus.

Does anyone have a patent number?

Thread Information