Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medeco Padlock

Default Medeco Padlock

Here we have a first Gen Medeco padlock. It was sold sometime in the mid 1970s and removed in 2005. I will show a tear down and the few parts. This padlock is in 6 pin Air keyway and is key retaining. It still works good after almost 30 years in service. Notice the armor all around and the anti drill pins in the top.

The disk on top rotates once it is open 90 deg and then lifts off. Then the locking bar can come out and then the cylinder can be removed for service.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20120506101533.jpg   20120506101550.jpg   20120506101611.jpg   20120506101702.jpg   20120506101755.jpg  

20120506101851.jpg   20120506101917.jpg   20120506101959.jpg   20120506102045.jpg   20120506102208.jpg  

20120506102218.jpg   20120506102304.jpg   20120506102435.jpg  

One last point. I was taking the pictures with my new USB-WR camera.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDIjqqWPIRk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usb-sv.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	179.7 KB 
ID:	5677
    Works really well for close in work and has built in light.

Nice lock you got there mate! I would clean it up a bit if I were you

Thanks, I did and will do more. You should have seen it when I first got it! The lube is loosening the dirt inside and the chrome is chipped on the top disk. It use to have rust all over the body and the insides were caked with dirt.... funny thing is it still worked then. I just got it out of the storage to work on it. I have an OEM key blank to cut. I took it apart to do a cleaning and thought it would be cool to show how to do that. I may sell it as I don't collect padlocks unless they are cutaway..... there is a thought. Make a cutaway of this. Hmmmmm......
    Last edited by Dean Nickel; 06-05-12 at 11:56 PM.

You know what I use for maintenance?

I use Tunap 366 rust dissolver and Tunap MP101 Synthetic liquid grease for the bigger parts and Tunap MP 102 Synthetic active oil for all the small parts and the moving parts. That's the good stuff mate

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

Oh by the way... I don't have a cutaway yet and what I just recognised is that the locking bolt locks like the one of the S&G 831

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

Oh and where was the lock used?

I will not say more than it was used on heavy industrial storage. The key system was replaced with a more modern system. Cylinders for this padlock are not available in newer keyways.

I have an Anchor Las 590-6 padlock here which I just fitted with a Dom diamond cylinder to get the maximum drill and physical attack resistance. I am going to make a review of this padlock soon, interested?

Quote Originally Posted by Halflock View Post
    I will not say more than it was used on heavy industrial storage. The key system was replaced with a more modern system. Cylinders for this padlock are not available in newer keyways.
    I'll give you a little background on that lock. IIRC, it was designed in 1977 and submitted as a competitor for the S&G 831B. It uses the same exact cylinder as all of the military padlocks. The case is sand cast bronze and what you call the top cover was referred to as a 'manhole cover'.

In those days bid summission testing was done at Natick, MA. and prior to submission I actually took one of the first models there for them to do a pull test for us. Again, IIRC it took 7800 pounds of force to pull the shackle.

The original models did not have the hardened pins around the edge. There were later models that had 5 pins on each side and eventually it ended up with the number shown in your example. I may still have one without any pins in my collection.

Naturally it did not exceed the test requirements and the 831B remained the primary military padlock. The lock was sold commercially and made available with all of the Medeco keyways of the day. You should be able to get an M3 version of the current military padlock cylinder and slip it right into place in that lock.
    BBE.

I will go back to the rep. I was told that cylinders were not to be had.... but then without a part number... you know how it goes. It all worked out for the customer anyways as they like the new locks better and that is all that counts in my book. No hurry as this is a side project.

Thank you BBE, as always you are a deep well of lock information to draw from! You should write a book of lock history as you see it. I know I would buy it and read it. At least it would sit next to the other three (2.5?) books I have from you.

One question: Why the pins around the side and not the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by Halflock View Post
    It all worked out for the customer anyways as they like the new locks better
    If you can tell us, what new locks did they switch to?

Thread Information