Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default How to remove dial from Diebold lock

I was wondering how I would remove the dial on the door. I'm not sure what type of safe it is, but the lock says Diebold 921. I'm trying to remove the dial because the grease is hard and it is almost impossible to turn. It has no visible screws or bolts. It has a plastic bezel and a clear plastic part with the numbers on it. The center knob is made of metal, but has no screw. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller54sc View Post
    I was wondering how I would remove the dial on the door. I'm not sure what type of safe it is, but the lock says Diebold 921. I'm trying to remove the dial because the grease is hard and it is almost impossible to turn. It has no visible screws or bolts. It has a plastic bezel and a clear plastic part with the numbers on it. The center knob is made of metal, but has no screw. Any help would be appreciated.
    Without knowing more about that lock, I can say that most combination dials need to be removed from the inside by opening up the back of the lock case.

There is often a shaft key that needs to be removed, the dial shaft would then unscrew in that case.

More information needed really!

Typically a spindle attaches to the rear of the dial which then passes through the door, then through the lock body and is secured from the back. To remove the spindle and dial may lead to a disassemble of the disc and tumblers, clean all parts and then reassembly. If it's not done correctly you run the risk of closing and locking the safe, perhaps permanently...
    Having a safe tech clean and lube the lock is a lot cheaper than having one open a disabled unit. If the door can be removed (often it can be slid up and off the hinge pins), and if it isn't too big, you can take that to them and save a service charge for them to come to you. The cost for an in shop service should be nominal and is recommended.

The only real risk that a lock out will occur is if someone fails to test the lock sufficiently after overhaul?

Safe technicians have completely priced themselves out of the hobby and collector market over here, so it's not usually an option that we can turn to in the UK anyway. It must presumably be a lot more cost effective over there?
    Last edited by Arcade Al; 09-03-13 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Addition

It all depends on what you are working on and where you are. If it is a standard safe over here as they are different over here as apposed to over there. Here most are simple dial locks made in the last 60-70 years. If you are talking a key lock ( not often found in safes over here) or much older the question then changes. I know that a safe tech here in Seattle charges about $126 (£84.37 at this time) an hour plus call out. You live in Texas I believe they are cheaper as the cost of living is cheaper. A trained tech can quickly service a safe and do so with knowing how to get to the next job with little fuss or muss. So you pay for knowledge, Experience and training. Then it is a question of is it worth it to you?
    Last edited by Dean Nickel; 09-03-13 at 05:03 PM.

Be very careful when removing the spline key to avoid bending or damaging it. This is not a part you can find at a normal hardware store. Safe techs are supposed to always install a new one and never re-use the old one (if you read the manufacturers instructions), but if it comes out in good shape and re-installs snugly it is probably OK.

Which way would I need to turn the dial to spin it off, cw or ccw?

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller54sc View Post
    Which way would I need to turn the dial to spin it off, cw or ccw?
    They are standard threads, ccw. You may need to hold the cam with your fingers to keep it from spinning.

mmiller54sc,

How is it coming along? Did you remove the dial?

Yes, I got it off just like you said. Greased everything up and put it back together. Thanks for all of the help.

Thread Information