Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default the edwards mfg co connc

hi , treated myself to the above, was told that seller did not have the combination that is why seller did not try to close the padlock . well I accepted this , next I closed it but was able to pull it open again .Well is this that my padlock is busted (or is this type of combo that must enter the combination to close, hope this explains my problem, good or bad news most welcome. gus
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2510453040334040_1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	5645

Gus, The lock should lock once the bail is closed.I have many of these locks with 5 different company names on them and one without any name. All of mine are either 3 or 4 button combinations. The way they work is you have to push all the required buttons at the same time and it can be a combination of buttons up or down(EX 1 & 7 up and 5 down). The lock might just be extremely dirty causing it not to work. I would try spraying it out real well with a good aerisol cleaner then use a good lock lube like Houdini. Make sure all the buttons move back and forth and the springs return the buttons to the center neutral position.
    If you study the buttons carefully you might be able to tell which buttons have the most wear to the faces and it's possible they might be the ones used in the combo. As far as I've been able to research, there are no combination codes listed for these locks. So if all else fails, I guess you'll just have to spend your nights infront of the TV trying all possible combinations. It can be done as I've had to do it with several of mine, it just takes time and patience. Good luck, Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Default The Edwards mfg.co 8 button combo padlock

Thanks Mark knew you would come through with help. The next Q do the Makers of Edwards combination padlocks always have the same amount of buttons to press (up/down ) sorry to drag this out . One more Q ,what are the worst things I should avoid ? many thanks again..gus
    the mind and the body are like a husband and wife , they don't always agree to die at the same time .

Gus, all mine have the same number of buttons. As far as what to avoid, well that's a wide open question. It's possible that someone along the line has forced that lock open which could have damaged the locking mechanism inside. You might also try tapping on the case with a rawhide mallet once you have spray cleaned it to see if it might jar things loose. Good luck and keep us posted with your results. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Quote Originally Posted by oldbiscuit View Post
    Gus, The lock should lock once the bail is closed.I have many of these locks with 5 different company names on them and one without any name. All of mine are either 3 or 4 button combinations. The way they work is you have to push all the required buttons at the same time and it can be a combination of buttons up or down(EX 1 & 7 up and 5 down). The lock might just be extremely dirty causing it not to work. I would try spraying it out real well with a good aerisol cleaner then use a good lock lube like Houdini. Make sure all the buttons move back and forth and the springs return the buttons to the center neutral position.
    If you study the buttons carefully you might be able to tell which buttons have the most wear to the faces and it's possible they might be the ones used in the combo.
    I have seen that exact lock with three different brand names. American No-Key, Edwards No-Key and one that just said No-Key. All operated exactly the same way and I suspect there was one manufacturer who just made cases with different brand names as an OEM supplier.

This will sound wierd, but I have had good luck determining which pins are used in the combination by using a digital camera to take a picture of the front and back. If you adjust the contrast in photoshop the used pins have a darker area around them because of the buildup of oils from the fingers pushing on them. Give it a try, ymmv.
    BBE.

Billy, They're five names for this style lock that I know of. They are Blakesley, Berkman, Chicago NoKey, Edwards, one with just NoKey, and one with nothing at all on it. I've got all but the Blakesley, which seems to be the toughest to find. I'll have to remember your trick on my next one, as I do pretty much the same by looking at them under a magnifying glass to find the wear patterns.
    Mark A. Billesbach

Default beware TEXT WALL

thanks( oldbiscuit) & (BBE) well the info that someone may have forced the lock ,that was on my mind before I bought it , but will give it the velvet mallet song . Next the amount of buttons to be pressed on the Edwards are they the same as the other brand names and if not do Edwards change the amount of buttons to be pressed 0n this type.The buttons on my lock have same amount of dirt /oil on all buttons both sides . I do hope that the lock will shut as I would like to open it (blood sweat tears ) like the advice that this problem has generated so far , I do not have Photoshop. I have noticed that on one side the buttons on my lock each have 3 lines on them then I found someone on utube who made a very flat 2 prong tool lifted the button and moved the button he said if the tool faced anti clockwise that pushed down or if clockwise pushed up . hope I got that right. One last question should the lock be open / closed when I tap it . gus

Gus, it can be either a 3 or 4 button combination on the Edwards. As far as tapping goes, I'de close the bail/shackle and tap,at least that way you'de know if it latches. Study all the buttons front and back very carefully and start using the buttons with the most wear first. Another trick I've used if you can get it to latch is to pull up on the bail/shackle keeping tension on it while working each button seperately. Sometimes you can get a button to settle into the open position, but not all the buttons. That way you have one number of the possible 3 or 4 number combination
    Mark A. Billesbach

Default edwards combo

hi thanks Mark , will keep the board updated with my struggles thanks again .gus
    the desire to resort to technical cunning .

Default Edwards mfg combo

hi have tried the velvet mallet but have no result , could anyone who has this kind of combo padlock send me a picture of the opening from the top view of their working open lock. I have used a broken key pick to tease something forward and would like to compare them both thanking you all in advance. having problem posting a pic of mine at the moment gus
    Edwards mfg padlock morphing into a paperweight

Thread Information