Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Billy, They're five names for this style lock that I know of. They are Blakesley, Berkman, Chicago NoKey, Edwards, one with just NoKey, and one with nothing at all on it. I've got all but the Blakesley, which seems to be the toughest to find. I'll have to remember your trick on my next one, as I do pretty much the same by looking at them under a magnifying glass to find the wear patterns.
    Mark A. Billesbach

Default beware TEXT WALL

thanks( oldbiscuit) & (BBE) well the info that someone may have forced the lock ,that was on my mind before I bought it , but will give it the velvet mallet song . Next the amount of buttons to be pressed on the Edwards are they the same as the other brand names and if not do Edwards change the amount of buttons to be pressed 0n this type.The buttons on my lock have same amount of dirt /oil on all buttons both sides . I do hope that the lock will shut as I would like to open it (blood sweat tears ) like the advice that this problem has generated so far , I do not have Photoshop. I have noticed that on one side the buttons on my lock each have 3 lines on them then I found someone on utube who made a very flat 2 prong tool lifted the button and moved the button he said if the tool faced anti clockwise that pushed down or if clockwise pushed up . hope I got that right. One last question should the lock be open / closed when I tap it . gus

Gus, it can be either a 3 or 4 button combination on the Edwards. As far as tapping goes, I'de close the bail/shackle and tap,at least that way you'de know if it latches. Study all the buttons front and back very carefully and start using the buttons with the most wear first. Another trick I've used if you can get it to latch is to pull up on the bail/shackle keeping tension on it while working each button seperately. Sometimes you can get a button to settle into the open position, but not all the buttons. That way you have one number of the possible 3 or 4 number combination
    Mark A. Billesbach

Default edwards combo

hi thanks Mark , will keep the board updated with my struggles thanks again .gus
    the desire to resort to technical cunning .

Default Edwards mfg combo

hi have tried the velvet mallet but have no result , could anyone who has this kind of combo padlock send me a picture of the opening from the top view of their working open lock. I have used a broken key pick to tease something forward and would like to compare them both thanking you all in advance. having problem posting a pic of mine at the moment gus
    Edwards mfg padlock morphing into a paperweight

Default RE: Edwards Mfg Padlock

Here's what I know:

The Edwards padlock, when it left the factory was set on a random combination (3-5 buttons pressed). As most people I've spoken to are unaware of, this lock is designed to be USER-resettable. The buttons can be in one of three states;

1) Button needs to be pressed DOWN to work combination
    2) Button needs to be pressed UP to work combination
    3) Button is left alone (neutral position)

With the shackle OPEN, you will notice a small TANG inside of the square shackle hole, LIFT the tang (carefully) up and over the small "notch" that it normally rests in (on the side of the case) and ROTATE it, perhaps 15-20degrees. Be gentle, the tip of a dental pick makes a nice tool for this. The buttons are now DISengaged from the lock's innerworkings. ROTATING the buttons a 1/3rd turn will change how they affect themselves in the combo. Some of the locks I've seen have 3 little "nicks" on the button faces, furthermore on these types, SOME locks will have ONE of the three "nicks" a small "break" in the "nick" (a magnifying glass REALLY helps) If you're lucky enough to have a lock like this, the combo is actually visible to you from just looking at the lock. (The "nick" with the "break" will either face the lock's outer edge, the lock's exact center, or inbetween) The button's "nicks" can vary slightly from lock to lock (so pay attention to what you rotated, and how much). After setting the new combo of your choosing, ROTATE the little tang back until it snaps into the notch again. What if you have no idea of what the code is to begin with, or there are no "nicks" on the buttons?....................DECODE IT!!!

Decoding; Decoding these locks are SUPER EASY (if you know how).

Cut a piece of standard lock shimstock (curved shims) (Don't have any, ask a locksmith friend). Cut the corners off a shim so the bottom is now about slightly smaller than 1/8th"

__
    i i i
    i i i
    i i i Diagram NOT to scale!!!
    i i i
    i i i
    i i i
    \_/ <---Bottom flat is slightly smaller than 1/8"

Slide the shim alongside the buttons (the top of the lock), feel around, the bottom of the shim should fall into a "gate" of sorts and be able to enter slightly deeper, where this occurs put a small dot (with fine tipped-marker) on the face of the button in relation to where the "gate" is located. Repeat this for all the buttons, when you are done some of the dots will face the outer edge of the lock, some will face the exact center, and some will be inbetween. As mentioned above: some of the locks are slightly different from each other so it will be up to you to figure out which direction the dot points in relation to what purpose that button has in the combination IE: press UP, press DOWN, or leave alone. The most buttons of the same configuration are usually gonna be the ones you don't touch (neutral). When you press the buttons (holding down) in the right order, the shackle will pop open..............
    ~ as if by magic ~!

Hope this helps someone!
    --Vince (Peerless)

Default Edwards mfg combo

hi Vince, thank you thank you , very excited, onwards and upwards now hoping to turn my paperweight back to a working combo padlock , will feed back on my efforts thanks again gus.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails enlightenment.jpg  

Thread Information