Quote Originally Posted by goldpro View Post
Thanks for that info Pete. Here's a few pics of another old Ilco code machine I'm going to try to rig up with dial indicators and the sloting cutter to do flat steel keys by measurements from the old locks we get coming in to have keys fitted. We have lots of dials and vise jaw inserts for this one. I think some of the inserts fit the minute machine also as the jaws seem to be similar. The whole vise/dial carriage tilts down so you can clamp the key easier as shown in the pic. I think machines like this were popular before the HPC came along. I think we have several cutters for it that also can be used on a HPC blitz. On the original wood base with tag. Another classic I'd like to see working again with some custom modifications. Tom
That is is 2178U Universal Code Key Cutting Machine first introduced in 1927 and in continuous production until it was replaced by the Universal II, a card-type machine; a few years ago. Like many Ilco machines of that era, it featured straight-in feed which provided a perpendicular cut at the root of the key as opposed to the pivoting mechanism found on most contemporary duplicators. The key rest inserts were designed to accurately accommodate various types of blanks although those used on the Minute are different from the Universal as the former hold two keys for duplicating while the later holds but one for code cutting. Two of the key rests, 26A for standard keys and 26C for wide cylinder keys are still stocked at the Ilco factory in Rocky Mount, NC. They also still have some depth and space disc sets and set up keys on close-out subject to limited availability.

Pete Schifferli