Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

pete,can these be ordered straight from n.c.?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Morland View Post
    Not exactly very old, vintage rather than antique, but thought it might be of interest. It must have been very boring cutting keys with this!!!

Attachment 5860
    interesting Xmas cards that they had back then...

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbonstein View Post
    pete,can these be ordered straight from n.c.?
    Most are obsolete, however the Ilco Suggested Dealer (price list), Key Blanks, Key Assortments, Key Machines, January 13, 2014 shows stock of "27B (129089) Key Rest for Best Type Keys" @ $31.57 ea. sugg. dlr. which I presume to be the same thing. Lead time is "C" which means may be in stock, should this item be out of stock, extended lead time may occur. And no, they won't sell direct, must be purchased from an Ilco distributor. I have a 27BX and will try to post an image later.

Pete Schifferli

Here is an image scanned from a 1970s supplier catalog listing key rests and blocks used on early Ilco key machines. Click on thumbnail to view full size. Note that they are different for machines manufactured before and after June 63 and were also used on the Improved American No. 175IA and Improved Duplex No. 177ID as well as the Improved Minute No. 179IM, which all had the same type of cylinder key carriage. I don't know what production change was made in June 63 but I believe the early Improved Minute was replaced by the Model L around 1956.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zipf2-70pg314.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	14823

Pete Schifferli

Default Re.179 im

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Here is an image scanned from a 1970s supplier catalog listing key rests and blocks used on early Ilco key machines. Click on thumbnail to view full size. Note that they are different for machines manufactured before and after June 63 and were also used on the Improved American No. 175IA and Improved Duplex No. 177ID as well as the Improved Minute No. 179IM, which all had the same type of cylinder key carriage. I don't know what production change was made in June 63 but I believe the early Improved Minute was replaced by the Model L around 1956.

Name:	Zipf2-70pg314.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	14823

Pete Schifferli
    Thank You great Information. Here are the blocks I found.And info from ILCO Manual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Default 179im

Here are some blocks and extra carriage .There is another that came with the deal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Beautiful!

Default Oops

Quote Originally Posted by Zoso1967 View Post
    Here are some blocks and extra carriage .There is another that came with the deal.
    The others
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

thank you pete,i use 3-4 suppliers for safe and lock parts ,your info is alway the best,thanks again

See thumbnail for image of my Ilco 27BX key rest for Best-type interchangeable core keys, click to enlarge. These keys are gauged from the tip, not the shoulder. Note the small protrusions upon which the "tip" location that is behind the actual tip of the key rests.

Name:	Ilco27BXkeyRest.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	14845
    The illustration in the circle below further illustrates the positioning of the "tip" cut that is behind the actual tip on Best-type keys.

Name:	SFICtipGauging.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	2.5 KB 
ID:	14846

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information