Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by goldpro View Post
    Thanks for that info Pete. Here's a few pics of another old Ilco code machine I'm going to try to rig up with dial indicators and the sloting cutter to do flat steel keys by measurements from the old locks we get coming in to have keys fitted. We have lots of dials and vise jaw inserts for this one. I think some of the inserts fit the minute machine also as the jaws seem to be similar. The whole vise/dial carriage tilts down so you can clamp the key easier as shown in the pic. I think machines like this were popular before the HPC came along. I think we have several cutters for it that also can be used on a HPC blitz. On the original wood base with tag. Another classic I'd like to see working again with some custom modifications. Tom
    That is is 2178U Universal Code Key Cutting Machine first introduced in 1927 and in continuous production until it was replaced by the Universal II, a card-type machine; a few years ago. Like many Ilco machines of that era, it featured straight-in feed which provided a perpendicular cut at the root of the key as opposed to the pivoting mechanism found on most contemporary duplicators. The key rest inserts were designed to accurately accommodate various types of blanks although those used on the Minute are different from the Universal as the former hold two keys for duplicating while the later holds but one for code cutting. Two of the key rests, 26A for standard keys and 26C for wide cylinder keys are still stocked at the Ilco factory in Rocky Mount, NC. They also still have some depth and space disc sets and set up keys on close-out subject to limited availability.

Pete Schifferli

Post New to This 179IM

I stumbled upon one of these ILCO 179IM a couple weeks ago. I wondered if anyone is interested in pictures. after digging through 20+ boxes I managed to find the manual that came with it, along with the aluminum spacers . I'll put pictures however it's Christmas. I would also like to Know if anyone has the size of these in particular the one that supports Best I think it ends with BX. Is it ok to post the manual? Thanks. It took me some time to find this site. Excellent Info.

27bx,pic's would be nice

Post RE New to 179IM

I don"t have pictures of 27BX I'll post some photos of the one's I found there was an extra carriage with clamps the manual saying the reversing block is #26 the ones i found are 2@ 22B, 23CH,33ad, and 34BX. I've only a description of 27BX--For holding and gauging "Best" type key blanks (such as No. 1114D, etc.) When I return Home I'll post photos. Perhaps 26DEC15.
    Thank You.

i only have the 27bx listed under extra equipment. on the parts sheet i do not see 27bx

Post 27bx

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbonstein View Post
    i only have the 27bx listed under extra equipment. on the parts sheet i do not see 27bx
    By looking around a bit more the model i have is the earlier not the L. If anyone has one and could provide Measurements or photos I'd give it a go on my milling machine.

mine just says minute on the tag.no ser # i have to finish putting a motor on it and then seeing what else i need for it. everything turns and rotates and slides freelyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	179im.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	505.8 KB 
ID:	14810

Smile 179im

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbonstein View Post
    mine just says minute on the tag.no ser # i have to finish putting a motor on it and then seeing what else i need for it. everything turns and rotates and slides freelyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	179im.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	505.8 KB 
ID:	14810
    tthis was some of the things I aquired sorry about size of photo I"ll send more totomorrow Thanksimagejpegimagejpegimagejpeg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

Looks like quite a haul!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoso1967 View Post
    By looking around a bit more the model i have is the earlier not the L. If anyone has one and could provide Measurements or photos I'd give it a go on my milling machine.
    Instructions for the "early" 179IM shows the following on pg. 7:
    EXTRA EQUIPMENT
    SPECIAL BLOCKS FOR ILCO KEY DUPLICATING MACHINES

For holding properly certain types of cylinder keys in vise, it is necessary
    to insert special blocking. Ilco special blocks are designed especially for
    Ilco key machines, and may be purchased as extra equipment. The following
    blocks are available:

33AD - For holding offset keys used on 1933 and 1934
    Chrysler line cars (such as key blank No. 1122ZP
    etc.)
    34BX - For holding B & S double sided keys (such as No.
    1198C etc.)
    22B - For holding key blanks used for Hurd Tire Lock
    in 1934 Chevrolet (key blank No. 1125L).
    22CH - For holding and gauging Chicago keys (such as No.
    1041D etc.).
    27BX - For holding and gauging "Best" type key blanks
    (such as No. 1114 etc.).
    38B - For holding and gauging Ilco No. 1198CN key
    blanks, and other types of corrugated key blanks.

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information