Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Both the X and Y axis are different for the protector to say nothing of the angled cuts etc then its highly unlikely, not sure that Tann used the protector? This machine is undoubtedly just for the Novum.

Default Keil New York

Quote Originally Posted by VtCollects View Post
    I actually own a Keil New York Model no. 3 1/2 (With cabinet), but when I went to add a picture with this post I found that I hadn't taken any myself. I will be getting some pictures in the near future though.

I have seen some old machines come up on Craig's List here in the States and I have seen some just plain curious machines that I couldn't identify. Maybe too many parts were missing, or it had been "modified" for some reason which leads to the confusion.

The hard part is coming up with a real picture to verify your suspicions if you are really close to an ID, but just can't see it from an illustration some ad people did in the 1920s.

I own a Keil #8 key cutting machine. Serial #94. Any idea of it's value?

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post

I own a Keil #8 key cutting machine. Serial #94. Any idea of it's value?
    Can you post an image? I'm familiar with Nos. 6, 7, 9 & 10 but not No. 8.

Pete Schifferli

Default Photo

I will try to get a picture to you by the end of the week.

Default Wow, how time flys.

Shortly after I started this post, and last replied to it my life took a nasty turn and I haven't really been in the real world. Yeah, the things we go through can have a jarring affect that lasts long after the initial point of impact.

So, I still haven't taken the pictures, but I will as soon as I can and get them up here. I haven't seen much on Craig's List lately of a key machine nature so I haven't purchased any. I have been looking for keys and locks as I remember, but I haven't really seen any of those locally either.

I did pick up an old cabinet for free that used to be a safe cabinet, but now it's just a beat up heavy cabinet that I have to restore. All I have is pictures of the name plate and the opposite door latching mechanism that has been vandalized. Well, it has been taken apart at one point because the former owner was probably looking for a steel bar to make into something.

That's all for now.

Default Life

I know what you mean about life's crazy threads. Went to a party on a December afternoon and came home to find my husband had passed while I was gone. Sooooooo life is a little crazy here.

Here is an image of the Keil NY No. 8 turret machine with six cutters for duplicating flat & bit keys. This image was taken for Laurie Simon's website simon-says.net. I would say that this machine is extremely rare and thus difficult to place a value upon. I know that their No. 6, which has similar functionality and is much more common; is favored by some locksmiths and I've seen them for selling for $500.00 or more depending upon condition, image also attached. Note that the 1/2 suffix after the model numbers indicates key machine mounted on a board with motor.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KeilNo8turretMachine.jpg   KeilNos.6and6.5.jpg  

Here's a few pics of oldtimers we have at the shop. Both are Ilco I think. We still use the turret and just had the .045 cutter sharpened. I hope to restore and upgrade the bit key part of the other machine with leadscrews, dial indicators, and some sort of swiveling key vise. Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails logan 400 lathe, key machines 007.JPG   logan 400 lathe, key machines 008.JPG   logan 400 lathe, key machines 009.JPG   logan 400 lathe, key machines 010.JPG   logan 400 lathe, key machines 006.JPG  

logan 400 lathe, key machines 005.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by goldpro View Post
    Here's a few pics of oldtimers we have at the shop. Both are Ilco I think. We still use the turret and just had the .045 cutter sharpened. I hope to restore and upgrade the bit key part of the other machine with leadscrews, dial indicators, and some sort of swiveling key vise. Tom
    Images 1-4 are of the Ilco 2196K (Keil 6-1/2) turret machine with four cutters for flat and bit keys, one side milling cutter for wards and one cutter for cylinder keys.
    Ilco acquired Keil in the 1930s and some identical machines were marketed under both brands. Scroll down to my post of 3-13-13 below for more information on this machine.

Images 5-6 are of the Ilco 179IM Improved Minute for cylinder keys, flat steel keys (both side and end cuts) and bit keys (all pass, lever and ward cuts).
    We have an even earlier version of the machine in our shop, c1930s, see image attached.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ilco179IMold.jpg  

Thanks for that info Pete. Here's a few pics of another old Ilco code machine I'm going to try to rig up with dial indicators and the sloting cutter to do flat steel keys by measurements from the old locks we get coming in to have keys fitted. We have lots of dials and vise jaw inserts for this one. I think some of the inserts fit the minute machine also as the jaws seem to be similar. The whole vise/dial carriage tilts down so you can clamp the key easier as shown in the pic. I think machines like this were popular before the HPC came along. I think we have several cutters for it that also can be used on a HPC blitz. On the original wood base with tag. Another classic I'd like to see working again with some custom modifications. Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails key machine, delta tool box 001.JPG   key machine, delta tool box 002.JPG   key machine, delta tool box 003.JPG   key machine, delta tool box 004.JPG  

Thread Information