Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Mosler 1120 168 hour backwind timelock

I spotted something unusual on eBay, two examples of a Mosler 168 hour backwind timelock. These appear odd, first because 168 hours is pretty long (that's 7 days). Second, the dial apparently rotates well past one full turn; there are tiny windows which read 0, 10, 20, 30, and 40; I presume these change to 30, 40, 50, 60, 70(?) after the first rotation. I've not seen this before.

I'm guessing "1120" is the model number.

Backwind -- is this a feature that allows you to back up if you wind it too far?

Default Really? No Pics?

This post is worthless without pictures. Seriously, were there any pictures to grab? I just watched the end of a small time lock sale on Ebay and grabbed a picture. It was an E. Howard & Co. time lock. Have a look.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E Howard Time Lock.JPG  

I agree, but I had no trouble finding this link by putting "Mosler 168 hour backwind timelock ebay" into google.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mosler-168-Hour-Backwind-Timelock-Movement-Rare-/320891298181

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ebay320891298181.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	555.4 KB 
ID:	5611

Default I'm only halfheartedly upset. :)

Now I have to go all the way to EBay? With a little work you could just post it here. Hey, I'm just messing with you. Have a good day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mosler 168 Time lock.jpg  

You are right that when pictures are posted here it means that they are saved for posterity and can always be found when you search for information in a years time or whenever.
    Wherever possible peopel should (for the benefit of everyone) post a picture directly rather than provide a link.

My own concern was whether there might be copyright issues grabbing eBay images and posting them here. Apparently not.

Has anybody seen one like this before? Does "backwind" refer to the ability to subtract time if over-wound?

Default Well.......

There was a way of copyrighting pictures on EBay, but there are many places that use EBay sales as ways to grab a piece of the pie. Then there's Worthpoint that uses EBay as well as auction site's pictures to record what things sold for.

We're not taking pictures from a published book, a piece of "art" that is from a famous painter, although I have seen thousands if not millions of versions of the Mona Lisa.

Usually anything posted to EBay that isn't used by another person as a representation of what they're selling or advertising in order to deceive a potential buyer usually isn't a matter of concern. If anything, we are the seller's best market. The more their pictures are spread around the Internet the better, and if we get to preserve it here for some time to come other people looking for these things in the future will have a reference point where they don't have to pay to see it. It would be nice if they did donate to the site though.

Wylk, the block movement number is 1120, but I never saw one like that. Most of timelocks I worked on were Diebold, with some Yale, S&G and Moslers. Fortunately. I suspect the 168 Hr came in around the same time S&G came out with the 144 Hr re-settable. Which was sometime in the 70's I think. Maurice Jones, who posted on here just recently would know more about it. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by VtCollects View Post
    This post is worthless without pictures. Seriously, were there any pictures to grab? I just watched the end of a small time lock sale on Ebay and grabbed a picture. It was an E. Howard & Co. time lock. Have a look.

Do you recall what it went for? I have 3 overwound stuck movements and would buy replacements, if available.

Thread Information