Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default J & J Taylor Toronto Safe Works - Value of safe??

Hello, I am new to this site. This is my first post so I hope I am in the proper area.
    I have a safe from J & J Taylor Toronto Safe Works. The company was est 1855, but I am curious if anyone can identify the year of this particular safe or perhaps give me some sort of average value. I do not have the combination, but as far as I am aware it is empty. I have an interested buyer and need to make sure that I am not getting taken advantage of. I have tried to upload all of my photos, but they seem to be too large. It has wheels and along the back top edge of the safe it has 2 rows of dates painted in gold coloured lettering. The dates are the following: Top row - Jan 14-86 Sept 23-83 Mch 20-(missing text). Bottom row - Feb 17-79 Dec 17-78 Sept 23-78 Aug 25-75. I will attempt to upload more photos upon replies. Thank you for your help!! from a proud Canadian :)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-05-04 13.42.09.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	501.8 KB 
ID:	5641

Proud Canadian, So we know your safe is late 1800's or even early 1900's. Taylor was "the" major Canadian maker back then from what I can tell. I would definitely have the safe professionally opened prior to selling and add the cost to the buyer. You never know what may be in it and the additional cost of opening should not prevent a deal from being made. The skirting is unusual, adding to the value and is something I have seen only a few times. Briigg's Safe of Buffalo also used this. So a value in my mind based on Cleveland pricing should be around $1000 if in an open condition, but not much less. If there is an internal money chest then at least $1500. Another safe safe deserving of restoration. Doug

Indeed...it needs restored...lol. Doug...you need to come down again...i will buy you lunch. Matt

Thread Information