Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: James Dix Safe

Default James Dix Safe

I have just had to open a James Dix safe today.
    On opening, this is what was on the inside of the door (see Pic).
    To my surprise, I did'nt expect to see the name John Tann !!
    My job is always full of surprises
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails James Dix Inner Door.JPG   James Dix Plate.JPG  

Default J Dix Safe

Ok. 2 plausible solutions.

1. My guess is that J Dix, worked for Tann and used the fact in the selling of the safes.

2. It may be possible that Tanns, sold the bodies for the respective safe supplier/dealer to add their own lock. Was it stated on its escutcheon the term 'Patent'. That would give the best clue.

Any other suggestions?

Regards
    Russell Stoner

Timbo / Russell - a plate from our collection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05554.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	5565

Thanks for the input Russell. I tend to agree with you on the first option. Possibly someone with a connection with Tann's wanted to go into business on their own. They might have got Tann's to make the safe and put their own badge on it, as in the picture it states "safe engineer" and not safe maker. As far as the escutcheon is concerned, it was just a plain slide up one and no markings. I could not get any further info from it as did'nt find other marks or numbers.

It was an interesting find though. Always discovering what you haven't seen before keeps me goin.
    Tim

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

Hi Brian,
    Thanks for the picture of the plate. It's good to see another type from the same name. Unfortunately I could not get the plate on the one I opened as the customer wanted it re-keyed and back working if possible. Urrrrr.
    Tim

Thread Information