Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Jas. Morgan & Sons

Does anyone know anything about a James Morgan & Sons lockmakers? One of their padlocks is named "Admiralty, JARED, 4 levers, Jas. Morgan & Sons Ltd, Justin Square, locksmith by appointment." A city is not listed so I have no idea where Justin Square was located. Another of their locks is marked "USN, Jas. Morgan & Sons, Boston." Presumably this padlock was made for the U.S. navy, and Boston was where the American office was located. An interesting feature of both locks is that at the bottom on the reverse side is a small hole with the word "drain." An almost identical lock is still being manufactured by Henry Squire & Sons under the name "Old English." Could Squire have bought out James Morgan & Sons?

Fantasy padlock. Made in Hong Kong.

Thanks for your input. Are you sure you're not confusing it with the one from an earlier thread entitled "JARED Old English #7 Admiralty..." that appeared last year? It was made in Taiwan and was labeled James Bond & Sons.

No, this is another variation of the same fantasy design. I discussed these a few years ago with a Squire factory rep and he knew all about them.

Thanks, Oldlock! I think you're right. I should have realized this when you consider how common they are, their good conditions, yet completely no information about the company. Thanks again for your input.
    Scott

Thread Information