Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Default Entrance Platform Controls

The picture shows the original entrance platform controls (on the floor) which I assume correspond to the automatic controls on the wall. Recent photos show the original controls with cover plates, assumed to be non-operational whose functions are now operated by the automatic controls. The right floor control/#1 automatic control raises and lowers the main platform as shown in the video. Does anyone know what the left floor control/#2 automatic control operates?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1KW Vault Door Anatomy (7).JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	10562

There are in fact two platforms. One is the main, large platform that allows the door to swing. The other platform could be considered a "hole" in the main platform and allows the main one to be raised while still providing a recess for the vault door while it's open.

Vault door in motion: both platforms down.

Vault door closed: both platforms raised.

Vault door open: main up, smaller one down.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    There are in fact two platforms. One is the main, large platform that allows the door to swing. The other platform could be considered a "hole" in the main platform and allows the main one to be raised while still providing a recess for the vault door while it's open.

Vault door in motion: both platforms down.

Vault door closed: both platforms raised.

Vault door open: main up, smaller one down.
    Got it, thx!

Both Platforms down:

Name:	1KW exterior14.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	10572

Both Platforms up:

Name:	1KW exterior10.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	10570

Entrance Platform up/Vault Door Platform down:

Name:	1KW left15.jpg 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	10573

Quote Originally Posted by VaultDoors View Post
    Got it, thx!

Both Platforms down:

Name:	1KW exterior14.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	10572

Both Platforms up:

Name:	1KW exterior10.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	10570

Entrance Platform up/Vault Door Platform down:

Name:	1KW left15.jpg 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	10573
    I updated the Vault Door Anatomy file with the platform control operations and posted it to Flickr

here's something I dug out while looking for a different paper- it's an advert I'd printed off 8 or 9 years ago when 1KW was still in use-

Name:	1KWad.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	655.9 KB 
ID:	10575

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    here's something I dug out while looking for a different paper- it's an advert I'd printed off 8 or 9 years ago when 1KW was still in use ...
    Somewhere else I had heard there were two stories but there are very few images of the interior. I get the impression all of the boxes have been removed (pro: they do take up a lot of space, con: subtracts from the vault-like ambience) but I haven't seen anything to suggest which direction the second floor is (up or down from the entrance) or where the stairs are. Or, is this just advertising and "Two storey" simply refers to the overall vault outer dimensions being equivalent to to two stories?

wylk- yes it seems an odd set-up and most info is a bit vague- didn't think to add this earlier but I think this page is from the (then) main 1KW site from which I got the sales advert back in 2005. Might throw a bit more light on it- refers to the Treasury vault being below and secured by a rectangular door.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1KWad2.jpg  

OK, that makes more sense. Two separate vaults, one on top of each other but otherwise not interconnected (in the sense you can get from one to the other; they do share a floor/ceiling). One for safe deposit boxes, the other for bank use. Calling it a two-story vault is technically true but a little misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    OK, that makes more sense. Two separate vaults, one on top of each other but otherwise not interconnected (in the sense you can get from one to the other; they do share a floor/ceiling). One for safe deposit boxes, the other for bank use. Calling it a two-story vault is technically true but a little misleading.
    There is additional info on the two-story vault at the hotel's history page.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    wylk- yes it seems an odd set-up and most info is a bit vague- didn't think to add this earlier but I think this page is from the (then) main 1KW site from which I got the sales advert back in 2005. Might throw a bit more light on it- refers to the Treasury vault being below and secured by a rectangular door.
    The earliest version of that webpage I would find was from 2/17/01 via The Wayback Machine. A thumbnail of the brochure is shown but the file was not archived.

Thread Information