Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by VaultDoors View Post
    Do you have any other drawings/pictures/plans of the One King West door you can share that are not in my online gallery?
    Last batch --

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	One King West Flickr 1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	296.6 KB 
ID:	10357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	One King West Flickr 2.jpg 
Size:	419.0 KB 
ID:	10358

Above, a couple of images from Flickr. In the first one somebody is being interviewed; the second one shows the pressure-bar attachment fairly well along with being a nice side view of the door.

Name:	gallery_additional-venues01.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	10359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6_0946152C.jpg 
Size:	308.7 KB 
ID:	10360

Above, some posed (real?) wedding pictures. They really are different images but probably taken about 2 seconds and six inches apart. I just found these a few minutes ago while trying to research one of the other images.

Name:	Vault in One King West.jpg 
Size:	308.3 KB 
ID:	10361

Above, a fairly grainy image I found today.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    Here are a few more. After a while they start looking alike but sometimes you can spot interesting details.

Attachment 10353

Above, this looks like it was taken before the hotel moved in. You can just barely see the clock in the upper-right corner and there is a bit of rust that's not there now.

Attachment 10354Attachment 10355

Above, a couple of images by Jackman Chiu. I believe your gallery includes a third image by him. In the first one you can see his reflection in the glass.

Sometimes I wish we could take up a collection for a fourth (identical) time lock and donate it. But I wonder if they even have the key to the door.

Attachment 10356

Above, a nice almost-straight-on image of the doorway. Note (again) the area where the clock used to be and the frame-mounted controls. This is an interesting image because while it's black and white, the Windows 7 thumbnail is full color.
    One of Chiu's pics shows a service tag from Adanac Security. They were established in 1974 and appear to have serviced the vault door at least three times. I wonder if they removed the missing time lock.

Last batch --

Name:	One King West Flickr 1.jpg 
Size:	296.6 KB 
ID:	10357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	One King West Flickr 2.jpg 
Size:	419.0 KB 
ID:	10358

Above, a couple of images from Flickr. In the first one somebody is being interviewed; the second one shows the pressure-bar attachment fairly well along with being a nice side view of the door.

Name:	gallery_additional-venues01.jpg 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	10359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6_0946152C.jpg 
Size:	308.7 KB 
ID:	10360

Above, some posed (real?) wedding pictures. They really are different images but probably taken about 2 seconds and six inches apart. I just found these a few minutes ago while trying to research one of the other images.

Name:	Vault in One King West.jpg 
Size:	308.3 KB 
ID:	10361

Above, a fairly grainy image I found today.
    Great pics, thx!

Here are a few more. After a while they start looking alike but sometimes you can spot interesting details.

Attachment 10353

Above, this looks like it was taken before the hotel moved in. You can just barely see the clock in the upper-right corner and there is a bit of rust that's not there now.

Attachment 10354Attachment 10355

Above, a couple of images by Jackman Chiu. I believe your gallery includes a third image by him. In the first one you can see his reflection in the glass.

Sometimes I wish we could take up a collection for a fourth (identical) time lock and donate it. But I wonder if they even have the key to the door.

Attachment 10356

Above, a nice almost-straight-on image of the doorway. Note (again) the area where the clock used to be and the frame-mounted controls. This is an interesting image because while it's black and white, the Windows 7 thumbnail is full color.
    Here's a pic showing two of the movements (captured from a video):

Name:	1KW time lock4.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	10363

I compared the One King West time lock to the Yale & Towne Mfg Co. time locks in American Genius but I see elements of a few of their time locks in this design:

• Triple L
    • Triple K
    • Automatic with Hollar's Time Lock

The closest match from the book is the Yale & Towne Automatic with Hollar's Time Lock. I suspect the fourth movement was replaced with an electric trigger which may explain the electrical contacts in the two locking bolts. The back plate of the missing time lock appears to be scalloped/Damascened which could help explain the order of events.

Is it possible the automatic operating device/trigger is concealed within the half-ball structure behind the time lock case? Similar time lock mounts are also found in the Cleveland Federal Reserve and Equitable Bldg/Capital Grille vault doors.

It's my understanding that modern usage is more often "Safe Deposit" than "Safety Deposit."

The "Safety Deposit Room" (as seen in the Realtor video) looks more like something the hotel installed for patrons rather than anything original. It might have originally been a "Coupon Room" or something else.

While the time lock currently has three movements, it probably originally had four (which was frequent on such large doors). I don't have any old images to support this but here is a drawing that suggests four:

Attachment 10101
    I found this pic on Mark Frank's website that shows a time lock similar to the One King West time lock - a missing movement that may have housed an electric trigger:

Name:	Hollar.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	10391

No automatic bolt motors on these doors. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by VaultDoors View Post
    I found a floor plan for the One King West vault area and added some detail. Please let me know if any terms are incorrect:

Attachment 10070

Here is a pic and video gallery I compiled for the One King West vault door.
    The One King West gallery has been organized into Sets, this is the Collection address: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cantonv...7639183617364/
    Last edited by VaultDoors; 30-12-13 at 08:36 AM.

The Capital Grille/Equitable Bldg vault door appears to also have electrical contacts atop one of its locking bolts:

Name:	CG vault1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	268.4 KB 
ID:	10409

Thread Information