Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Yes, that is some door. I have "played" with it a couple times. And took several pictures which I cannot find. To my knowledge it is the heaviest round door ever made. And to think it was installed after the building was built. Years ago, I had a friend who was just a 16 year old kid when he worked as part of the rigging crew when it was installed in the early 20's.
    Last edited by Doug MacQueen; 27-03-12 at 11:48 PM.

Two more things --

I have verified with the One King West hotel that the door is in fact a Remington & Sherman, and that the vault engineer was Frederick S. Holmes.

I found a note in a 1926 magazine that the Bronx County Trust Company installed a vault which included Holmes electric protection, and the "vault was installed by Remington and Sherman." I note the use of "installed" rather than "manufactured"; an image in the magazine looks almost exactly like a Diebold door I examined earlier the same day (please note I am not a locksmith/vaultsmith, this was pure luck). I'm thinking perhaps in R&S' later years (1922-1925) they became more of a reseller/marketer than a manufacturer and their eventual absorption by York was to gain access to their patents and reputation. The magazine was Architecture and Building, volume 58 number 4, April 1926, page 45 and plates. This is about the only mention of R&S that I can find after 1922 excluding some banking directory entries.

I found a floor plan for the One King West vault area and added some detail. Please let me know if any terms are incorrect:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1KW Vault Plan.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	10070

Here is a pic and video gallery I compiled for the One King West vault door.

That is an interesting floor plan, make sure not to make these on banks that are still in business, it may get you into trouble

Just kidding of course, well done!

In one of the images on Flickr, notice the addition of a clock in the upper-right:

Name:	11232263375_229e0beace_o.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	10071

This certainly postdates construction, it looks much newer than 1914. In more recent images the clock has been removed but you can see where it was:

Name:	11232269634_475ffc7b9e_c.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	325.6 KB 
ID:	10072

It's kind of a shame that it's gone. Sometimes that's the difference between restoration and preservation.

This pic shows where the two locking bolts (with top holes) engage the electrical contacts at 110° and 70°:

Name:	1KW interior2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	348.2 KB 
ID:	10073

Here is the crane hinge pin (journal) emerging from the sleeve so I assume there is a bottom pin as well that is not visible. This leads me to believe the hinge sleeves were attached to the door then it was 'dropped' into place atop the pins:

Name:	1KW install2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	10074

Here is the Cleveland Federal Reserves crane hinge without hinge pins, from a Popular Science article:

Name:	CFR crane hinge.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	321.9 KB 
ID:	10075

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    In one of the images on Flickr, notice the addition of a clock in the upper-right:

Name:	11232263375_229e0beace_o.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	10071

This certainly postdates construction, it looks much newer than 1914. In more recent images the clock has been removed but you can see where it was:

Name:	11232269634_475ffc7b9e_c.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	325.6 KB 
ID:	10072

It's kind of a shame that it's gone. Sometimes that's the difference between restoration and preservation.
    It looks like a small hole was drilled into the frame presumably for an electrical cord to power the clock and they scratched up the frame upon removal. The clock was mounted flush with the top of the frame but overhung the right side...which is a rather odd way to mount something given that there was enough room to mount it flush to the right...

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Weber View Post
    That is an interesting floor plan, make sure not to make these on banks that are still in business, it may get you into trouble

Just kidding of course, well done!
    Thanks! I am not a locksmith, just a safe/padlock/vault door enthusiast. Vault doors are works of art and I have been curious about them for a long time. There just doesn't appear to be a comprehensive resource on vault doors, which is why I started the 'Vault Door Book' post. I am working on a 'Vault Door Anatomy' file that labels components and their use. I have been gathering information found in vault door patents but I still have many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by VaultDoors View Post
    I found a floor plan for the One King West vault area and added some detail. Please let me know if any terms are incorrect:

Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	10070

Here is a pic and video gallery I compiled for the One King West vault door.
    It's my understanding that modern usage is more often "Safe Deposit" than "Safety Deposit."

The "Safety Deposit Room" (as seen in the Realtor video) looks more like something the hotel installed for patrons rather than anything original. It might have originally been a "Coupon Room" or something else.

While the time lock currently has three movements, it probably originally had four (which was frequent on such large doors). I don't have any old images to support this but here is a drawing that suggests four:

Name:	One King West - Fifty Years.jpg 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	10101

Great observations, thank you! I updated the vault plan:

Views:	11 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	10102

Thread Information