Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    Hi John

I'm sure we would all appreciate any other documents or information you can add to the permanent record here at www.antique-locks.com

I recently re-read your piece entitled 'Purpose of this site' and the reference to the 'hoarding' of collections and other valuable material.

I would not wish to fall within that catagory and the circumstances are slightly different. Having had a working life in the safe business I have of course accumulated so much information on the subject from safe-blowing to safe-testing. The bulk of this is in my head. Hard copy, photographs, old catalogues and the like are extremely scarce. It was fortunate that when I came to prepare my 'peterman' and 'safeman' websites that I was able to draw upon both the resources of my memory and my collection of old negatives and slides.

At the time I left Tann in 1990 I did'nt for one minute think I would in the future ever want to call upon the archives - such as they were. Luckily I managed to call in a few favours from various people to whom I had provided literature in the past but these were few and far between.

So, back to your question. The information is still all here - in my head - with a limited number of illustrations to add interest. Consider me as a reference library, not a lending one. I would be only too happy to spend my time responding to specific questions - I'm doing it all the time in response to my website visitors. If I ever come across anything that I consider your visitors might find interesting of course I'll be only too pleased to put it on.

I am glad you have pointed out the "purpose of this site" as I have been tempted to do that myself. But you hardly need to clarify your position regarding contributions here. Your two websites alone have put more information about the art of British safemaking into the permanent record than anyone I know, with the possible exception of George Price. Doug

I'm not really sure I follow your meaning Doug, and anyway it's academic. I do not own this site and if anyone has any questions, comments or suggestions as to it's purpose or direction I'm sure the site owner will be pleased to hear them.

I do listen to everyone and try to get a consensus. We have a forum for this very purpose of listening to everybody’s suggestions –“New Members Introduction - Board Help & advice”. This has been used to good effect in the past.

Additionally the Library area has started to be populated. Obviously I can only ask our Librarian volunteers to scan documents that are in the collection and would appeal to anyone that has historical documents to consider passing them to us for scanning & uploading ensuring that they are in the permanent record. We can meet your out of pocket expenses if required. There are never any charges associated to members using this site and hope that the community spirit prevails for the enjoyment of everyone.

The confusion may be in that I failed to state that my post was directed to "Safeman", regarding his own great websites and therefore his contribution to the collection of safe and lock history. My reference about "the purpose of this site" was only that it (the "purpose") seems to be consistently overlooked by many collectors.

Default Tann info

Thank-you for your reply John, I hope that when I reach 43 tears in the trade, I will have amassed a 10th of your knowledge.

Regards
    Russell Stoner

ps: It's about time you did a regular spot on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    I cheat Russell.

The clue is in the name, Safeman. You probably found the photograph on my website in the history of Edw.Tann & Sons section www.safeman.org.uk/edwtann.htm. As the unofficial historian for the Tann company where I finished my 43 years in the safe business I have gathered considerable information on the company including such as the sketch.
    With your background you will remember Fishers for Safes Ltd of Glasgow which was where I spent my formative years before JW Levy took over and which in turn came under the Tann banner.

Bye the way, Fishers safes were made by Wm.E Lee & Son, Brick Street, Sedgley.

Regards,
    John Mitchell.

It appears that those viral "fail" pictures didn't originate with the invention of the internet. It's certainly a great picture and I could use the laugh today. Thanks for that!

Thread Information