Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default 1880's Mosler Safe

My family has a 3,900 pound 1880's Mosler safe that we are looking to find some info on it and are hoping to get a rough estimate of the value of this safe. The information we have found on it is...

Inside Right door writing:
    Pat.M'ch.22.
    '81.M'ch.6.
    July 17.&
    Aug.28.'83

Inside left door writing:
    Mosler Safe & Lock Co
    Cincinnati. O.
    Pat.M'ch.22" '81. M'ch.6.
    July 17" Aug.28." '83.

I have found minimal information on this safe, found many that are smaller made by Mosler but none quite this size.
    I can provide pictures if needed via email as this sites uploader isn't working for me.

Thanks for your time!
    Brandon

Can you post pictures? This would help a great deal. Pictures of the outside of the door, any wording as well as the inside of the safe and if you can the lock from the inside. Also any measurement of the safe inside and out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1435.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	975.4 KB 
ID:	5415I have a few pictures, the didn't want to upload earlier.

Also, It's about 5 ft tall, and im unsure of how wide or deep. I'll get better measurements tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1436.JPG   IMG_1438.JPG   IMG_1437.JPG  

First off I would guess that the lock dial is not the original as I don't think they used S&G back then and I would guess that the lock is an S&G as well. Can you get a picture of the insides of the safe with the door open? So we can see if there are inner doors and how they are configured. Someone with more knowledge than myself will post more I am sure.

It looks like it would be a nice restore project.

This picture uploader hates me, it only let me upload those few last night. Here are a few others.

The lock was replaced in the 60's I believe and still is accurate and works great.

We have the capability of restoring this safe, as we restore classic and antique cars to perfection for a living, but it's a matter of the time and money it would take it is not something we are overly interested in doing.

I believe the inside of the safe has been painted and modified because most safes i have seen have storage type compartments and a cloth(felt?) as a liner throughout the inside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1441.JPG   IMG_1442.JPG  

Still looking for information on this post!

Other than price what is it you wanted to know? There are very few potential buyers for a big safe like that and the most likely would be someone looking for a nice large gun safe. Since you are already able to do a nice restore, you should do it and then put up for sale. I have little doubt it would be worth doing.

Thread Information