Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Halflock View Post
    Look in the hole with a light and turn the dial until you see the first wheel hole and then change direction and look for the hole in the second wheel and so forth until you dial it open. Record the numbers as you go. If that is a three wheel (can't see the wheels well enough to tell) then start counter clockwise.

there are three wheels and that is what i will try this weekend i will let you know how it comes out thanks.

Dean, it is far easier on that lock to pull the back cover off to line up the wheels and determine the combination. 4L-3R-2L-1R to stop. Looking through the back cover can be done but since the drive wheel is at the rear or closest to the back cover, you will see the last number wheel and it blocks your view of the other two wheels. However, on some locks, when the driver is at the front, you can easily line them up looking through the back. Always be sure to try the combination AND the bolt handle, several times AFTER all parts, covers, etc. are replaced and with the door standing wide open. The lock is a 2421 Yale which I believe was used only by York. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Dean, it is far easier on that lock to pull the back cover off to line up the wheels and determine the combination. 4L-3R-2L-1R to stop. Looking through the back cover can be done but since the drive wheel is at the rear or closest to the back cover, you will see the last number wheel and it blocks your view of the other two wheels. However, on some locks, when the driver is at the front, you can easily line them up looking through the back. Always be sure to try the combination AND the bolt handle, several times AFTER all parts, covers, etc. are replaced and with the door standing wide open. The lock is a 2421 Yale which I believe was used only by York. Doug

thanks for that info Doug i will let everyone know how it goes . do you have any idea what year this safe may be?

thanks to everyone who replied with info i have been able to get both inner and outer doors working and they work very well.i would like to find out aprox. what year it is i found etched in the concrete of the front door behind the cover the number 97428 and down below that the number 16 and the acorn nuts on the outer hinges are solid i dont know if this means anything.also does this safe have any value ? i dont think i want to get rid of it but i would like to know if its worth anything.

Doug, Too true. For some reason I had it my head that the back cover had to be on to engage the drive wheel. Sorry about that.

As to the value. This would be hard to pin down until someone hands you money. SO I can give a few things about the safe that might help in its value. I am not an expert on safes but:

1) It was a cash handling container.
    2) It was made by a company that is known for good safes.
    3) It was made with good locks and good steel.

Outside of that I couldn't pin down a real price until we see one sold. We sell safes like that used from $400-1800 depending on rating and tech in the safe as well as demand, but they are not as good of quality as they made 100 years ago like yours.

We have a 110 year old Hall safe on the showroom floor for 10 years. NICE safe. But the boss wants $4000 for it. A bit over priced but then I think he likes it on the showroom floor.

My suggestion is to not worry about the value. You have a NICE working safe to be proud of. Use it and know it is a quality safe.

Thread Information