Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Each wheel has an inner wheel and an outer wheel. The outer wheel is indexed 0 to 100. The inner wheel has a triangular pointer indented on it , pointing to the code number set on that wheel. To change the code you separate the inner and outer wheel , then rotate the outer wheel to align the chosen number to that wheel's pointer.

thanks alot to everyone who added info, i have been able to get the outer door working and it works very good now i need to get the inner lock working i have taken the cover off of it and it says made for york by yale , it has three wheels and does not come apart like the outer lock it appears to be staked or bradded together it shouldnt be to hard to figure out when i get a little more time but any help or info would be greatly appreciated, again thanks for all of the help.

Pictures of the wheel pack and lock would help. Yale made quite a few locks.

these pics. are not very good i hope you can tell a little about them thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-03-13_02-45-16_839.jpg   2012-03-13_02-45-02_525.jpg   2012-03-13_02-44-41_326.jpg  

The pics are not that great but it looks like a key change lock. Is there a second mark on the dial ring right or left of the primary mark? The part that will be fun is getting a change key for this lock. Is there a small hole that is square and has one or two slots off it in the back cover?

Quote Originally Posted by Halflock View Post
    The pics are not that great but it looks like a key change lock. Is there a second mark on the dial ring right or left of the primary mark? The part that will be fun is getting a change key for this lock. Is there a small hole that is square and has one or two slots off it in the back cover?

i dont get back home until 2 am but will look and reply after i get there

i dont see any other marks on the dial ring . there is a round hole on the rear cover with a slot on both sides of the hole across from each other that line up with an opening in a lever attached to the inside of the rear cover . the discs in the lock ring itself have round holes with what looks like aluminum slotted inserts in them straight across from the notch for the unlocking lever. i dont know if any of this helps any.

I am no safe expert but this leads me to believe that it is a 0 change key lock. You use the mark you dial to open to change the lock. So the only hard part will be finding the change key if you wanted to change the combo.

i dont care about changing the combination i would just like to figure out the combination , when i get off work for the weekend i am going to work with it unlike the outer lock i can see the inner lock work with the cover off so mabey i can figure something out. i really apreciate all the info and help.

Look in the hole with a light and turn the dial until you see the first wheel hole and then change direction and look for the hole in the second wheel and so forth until you dial it open. Record the numbers as you go. If that is a three wheel (can't see the wheels well enough to tell) then start counter clockwise.
    Last edited by Dean Nickel; 15-03-12 at 02:24 AM.

Thread Information