Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Doors

Timbo, where exactly is that bank located? Doug

Hi Doug,
    I will PM you on this as don't want to put it about on the internet for obvious reasons.
    Tim

Default No don't put it on the net

Well Timbo I for one can guess which bank it might be Lol.

But as you say Tim the conversation you report sounds all to familar. when they do have a problem it will cost a lot of money.
    Regards
    Ant

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNB Emergency 1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	6017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNB Emergency 2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	6018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00779145-001.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	6019
    Initially I asked about patents for emergency doors. I did run across an example. Here are two images of a Remington & Sherman emergency door at the Colorado National Bank (now vacant) in Denver. This compares quite well to US patent 779,145 (filed in 1904), the description of which states it is "particularly adapted for use on emergency doors of vaults..."

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing. It must have cost a fair amount to produce something like these. A fine piece of engineering work I must say.
    Tim

Credit: the imagery I posted is from a Flickr tour of the CNB building, created by Historic Denver. See:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/histori...57621441122901

long time no see, reading through old threads.

Whenever I attend site to help staff change numbers on a SRD I check if there is an emergency door and insist that they reset the numbers on that to match.
    Invariably they have no clue what the numbers are and I open it from the back.

Ok, once in a blue moon they do find a working code, but not for the correct reasons.

Name:	Unknown Emergency.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	6241

Earlier we were discussing emergency doors doing double duty for ventilation. I found an image showing an emergency door with a built-in fan. Presumably you open the door, swing the fan over the opening and turn it on. At the end of day, turn off the fan, swing it over, and close the emergency door. It's rare enough to find images of emergency doors and this is the first one I've seen with an integral fan.

Found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrispo...in/photostream apparently in New Haven, Connecticut. Unknown maker.

Today I found an eBay auction for photographs of a Mosler emergency door, the seller (modernohio) claims 1950, and a model from the RE-200 line. I'm not too interested in buying these but they are relevant to this thread:

Name:	$_57.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	10231Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_58.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	10232Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_59.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	10233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_60.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	10234

I've got to ask the obvious stupid questions, If it's a true emergency door, it would open to the inside of the vault, Correct? Why would they have a time lock on the door? Would the time lock on the emergency door match up time wise with the main vault door? It looks from the pictures that someone could access the time lock on the emergency door from outside the vault and there by removing the inside cover to access the lock mechanism to open the door from the outside. If the door opens to the outside of the vault, it would be in my opinion be a secondary entrance, not so much an emergency door. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Thread Information