Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Servicing the lock - to do - or not to do . . . that is the question !

Can't seem to find anything which tells how to service the locking system on any antique combination lock or door hinges, bolts and latch system.

I've taken a peek inside the back of the combination lock panel and can see where any previous grease had long since melted and run down the back of the panel.

Any thoughs on how to service these areas?

Also, I'm thinking I might rebuild my safe to include an extra drawer or two, and an extra pair of lock boxes - any idea where I might find the keys and locks for such items?

Thanks a bunch!
    Rog
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0017.jpg   DSC_0012.JPG   DSC_0013.JPG   Interior Box and Drawer - w Keys.jpg  

Default Cleaning locks

Hi Rog,
    As far as servicing antique locks or modern locks are concerned I have worked on many.
    The only thing that I use is WD40. I first strip down the lock to component form, then clean all parts. Re-assemble and lubricate with the spray. Wipe off access spillage.
    WD40 cleans and lubricates. If you use grease, it attracts dust and dirt and it ends up as a sticky paste which clogs everything up. Give it a go and see what you think.

Default Wd40.....no no no

WD40, is NOT the correct lubricant. Yes it's ok for a degreaser & cleaning agent, but as a service product, this should not be used.

Ok, why not?

WD40, will when dried out , ie in a centrally heated environment for one, dry to a powder finish, which then clogs up AND, it will form into an abrasive eventually causing wear & tear to the product.

If WD40 was the messiah of lubricants, then why do manufacturers use specific grease viscocities on their goods?

Clean with it by all means, then re-grease.

Seeples innit.

Regards
    Russell

Withy Grove (Leeds) Ltd
    t: 044 (0)113 2721441
    www.wgsafesonline.com

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Hi Rog,
    As far as servicing antique locks or modern locks are concerned I have worked on many.
    The only thing that I use is WD40. I first strip down the lock to component form, then clean all parts. Re-assemble and lubricate with the spray. Wipe off access spillage.
    WD40 cleans and lubricates. If you use grease, it attracts dust and dirt and it ends up as a sticky paste which clogs everything up. Give it a go and see what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Stoner View Post
    WD40, is NOT the correct lubricant. Yes it's ok for a degreaser & cleaning agent, but as a service product, this should not be used.

Ok, why not?

WD40, will when dried out , ie in a centrally heated environment for one, dry to a powder finish, which then clogs up AND, it will form into an abrasive eventually causing wear & tear to the product.

If WD40 was the messiah of lubricants, then why do manufacturers use specific grease viscocities on their goods?

Seeples innit.

Regards
    Russell

Withy Grove (Leeds) Ltd
    www.wgsafesonline.com
    I have a bit of "old" vaseline/graphite grease, which is what was used on old phonograph gearing - so I'm thinking that since it is basically from the same era that this might be a good choice = yes or no ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rog View Post
    I have a bit of "old" vaseline/graphite grease, which is what was used on old phonograph gearing - so I'm thinking that since it is basically from the same era that this might be a good choice = yes or no ?
    I recommend Super Lube synthetic grease with Teflon.
    (note-I tried to post an image several times but "Upload failed due to failure writing temporary file").

Pete Schifferli

Default Graphite based lubes---NO

Blimey!!!! Who ever in their tiny minds decided to add graphite to grease.

Graphite is a naturally occurring product, generally, it is a fine powdered rock.. Guess what!!
    Its an abrasive product, and thus should not be used on a locking devise.

Back to WD40 to de-grease n clean, low viscoss grease for locks, heavier viscoss for safe mechanics.

Hoping this clears up this little theme.

Remember, even John Travolta sang about the benifits of Grease.

Regards
    Russell
    Withy Grove (Leeds) Ltd
    t: 0113 2721441
    www.wgsafesonline.com

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Stoner View Post

Ok, why not?

Seeples innit.

Regards
    Russell

Withy Grove (Leeds) Ltd
    www.wgsafesonline.com

This guy is correct. I have cleaned, and srviced, more locks than ever necessary due to them being "serviced" with WD-40. It's a dirt magnet, and not made for lubrication. WD40 actually stands for W-ater D-isplacement formula #40. It's not a lubricant.

This is very interesting - - - especially inlight of this website:
    WD-40 Frequently Asked Questions
    How is WD-40 different from 3-IN-ONE®?

WD-40 is the ultimate multi-purpose problem solver. WD-40 cleans/degreases, penetrates to loosen up stuck parts, prevents corrosion and is a light lubricant. 3-IN-ONE, with it's special drip spout, enables you to lubricate without any overspray or splatter. 3-IN-ONE is ideal to use on tools, rollers, hinges, in-line skates, wheels...nearly everything that moves.graph3in73498156png 1

It's best to use a silicone based spray lubricant, or dry graphite. If I wanted you to buy my product, WD-41, I'd tell you the same thing.

I also agree that WD-40 is great for removing grease, and is a degreaser. It's great for freeing up rusty tools. I think any dry lube would be better then grease for an antique safe if it not being used frequently, or better yet, not putting anything on might be even better. I would think you would not want to do a yearly service on the mechanism and cause more wear on the screws and paint, like you would do on a safe being used daily. Any lubes that stay wet cause problems with dirt sticking. I scraped off hard chunks of the original grease from my safe, which wasn't doing anything positive, and now it works much smoother then it did before. And I might go in it once a month, so I don't see anything wearing out in my lifetime. (That's about 200 years)

One thing I did that I think is important. I put a drop of oil on the screw threads before screwing them back in. Especially where they are tapped in sheet metal, I found they tend to rust more in those places.

Thread Information