Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dial combination lock disassembled

Somewhere (that is the key word here) I once saw a safe dial combination lock which was shown a a breakdwon form / photo.

Can't seem to find it now that I'd like to review it again.

Anyone have such a photo or link to what it is that I'm searching my fool head off for ?

I'd like to get a good idea of the various parts and placement before I take one apart.

If and when I do, I'll make sure I take a sequence of photo's so I get mine reassembled correctly.

Thanks
    Rog
    Last edited by Rog; 18-02-12 at 11:15 PM.

Study the lock closely until you understand the relationship of the parts and how it works. Especially how the drive cam wheel in the lock contacts and moves the wheels. Then take it apart. Doug

Take pictures as you go so you know where that part cam from. Digital pictures are wonderful for that.

Also without knowing what lock you have (a few pictures would help) we can't help you find what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Halflock View Post
    Take pictures as you go so you know where that part cam from. Digital pictures are wonderful for that.

Also without knowing what lock you have (a few pictures would help) we can't help you find what you are looking for.

The combination lock photo that I saw online just in the past few weeks showed a lock in various stages of disassembly; but, I'll be darned if I can find that web page again - serves me right I guess for not bookmarking it...

Anyway, here is a photo of what I have:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0016.JPG  

One nice source of construction and terminology of modern safe locks is from an unlikely source, a computer scientist named Matt Blaze:

http://www.crypto.com/papers/safelocks.pdf

But, as mentioned, specifics will depend on the actual lock. What you have looks roughly similar to a hand-change Mosler 402 (just from the viewpoint of the wheel stack). Carefully remove the the "C" ring that holds everything on the central wheel post, and it might even be a good idea to keep track of which side was "up". Then take off washers, wheels, etc. but again keep track of order and up-ness. The wheels should come apart into two halves to set the combination; in some locks alternate wheels are numbered in opposite directions which is why order is important. To re-assemble, reverse the steps.

At least, that's the basic idea. Details are left for you to discover :-) but let us know how it goes.

Default Combination lock diagrams

Does this S&G Combination Lock Glossary help, from our own libarary:

http://www.antique-locks.com/hol-lib...documents.html

A verbal-only (no images) description for a Mosler lock is at

http://www.usarec.army.mil/im/formpu...UBS/p380_4.pdf

on page 33 (page 142 in the PDF file).

I had surprisingly poor luck Googling for the instructions for a Mosler 302/402, but Brian's note about S&G's glossary (with an exploded view) should also be helpful. I do have a Mosler instruction sheet but I'd have to scan it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Morland View Post
    Does this S&G Combination Lock Glossary help, from our own libarary:

http://www.antique-locks.com/hol-lib...documents.html

Yup this is basically what I was looking for -
    the schematics in photo #8-11 should do the trick...

Thanks gentlemen!

Rog, who made this lock?

And, I'm just wondering what the goal is. Recover the existing combination? Should be easy. Set a new combination? Also easy. Is it sticky, say from dried grease? Or are you just curious, for which I congratulate you for wanting to disassemble/reassemble it.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    Rog, who made this lock?

And, I'm just wondering what the goal is. Recover the existing combination? Should be easy. Set a new combination? Also easy. Is it sticky, say from dried grease? Or are you just curious, for which I congratulate you for wanting to disassemble/reassemble it.

The safe has been sitting dormant for almost 45 years in a hot storage room, and since I intend on using it to some degree thought it best to gently lubricate to try and get another 100+ years of service out of this beauty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails York Safe & Lock Co - Combination Dial.JPG   DSC_0015.JPG   Inside door - Dial cover.JPG   DSC_0017.jpg  

Thread Information