Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jacobrules View Post
    I know S&G used to specify a GE Versilube lubricating grease on their safe locks but have lately swiched allegiance to a similar Shell Petroleum product. GE seems to have sold off that division to a company called Novaguard and their Versilube is what I have been using for quite a few years. It is not as pertinent to a flat key lock but should work well to lubricate the sliding mechanism of the bolt and less is more.
    Did a quick search for Novagard Versilube and it appears that there are several versions available of this not so inexpensive lubricant - but, I guess I'll have to break down and get me some of this good stuff. Pretty sure it will come in handy for other projects as well . . . . .

I also agree that WD-40 is great for removing grease, and is a degreaser. It's great for freeing up rusty tools. I think any dry lube would be better then grease for an antique safe if it not being used frequently, or better yet, not putting anything on might be even better. I would think you would not want to do a yearly service on the mechanism and cause more wear on the screws and paint, like you would do on a safe being used daily. Any lubes that stay wet cause problems with dirt sticking. I scraped off hard chunks of the original grease from my safe, which wasn't doing anything positive, and now it works much smoother then it did before. And I might go in it once a month, so I don't see anything wearing out in my lifetime. (That's about 200 years)

One thing I did that I think is important. I put a drop of oil on the screw threads before screwing them back in. Especially where they are tapped in sheet metal, I found they tend to rust more in those places.

There seems to be a lot of different opinions on the cleaning and lubrication topic.
    All I can go by is from my personal experience.
    I have taken a lot of old safe locks apart due to difficulties unlocking. The most common fault apart from a mechanical /wear problem that I have found is old grease. I have taken old Milner and Chatwood locks apart to find that the grease inside has hardened to form a very sticky paste, thus dragging on levers and bolt. I don't know if this was put in at the time of manufacture or added at a later date, but some of the grease that I have found inside locks has turned a horrible green colour and set really hard.
    So I think whatever your view, everyone has their own opinions I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rog View Post
    Did a quick search for Novagard Versilube and it appears that there are several versions available of this not so inexpensive lubricant. . . . .
    S&G specifically recommended Novagard G322L Versilube, or Dow Corning Gn Metal Assembly Paste. They currently recommend Shell Aeroshell 22. But one of their requirements is that it must not cause shape/dimension changes in plastic wheels; not a concern on antique locks.

Did Mosler have any recommendations? Does Diebold/LaGard?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    There seems to be a lot of different opinions on the cleaning and lubrication topic.
    All I can go by is from my personal experience.
    I have taken a lot of old safe locks apart due to difficulties unlocking. The most common fault apart from a mechanical /wear problem that I have found is old grease. I have taken old Milner and Chatwood locks apart to find that the grease inside has hardened to form a very sticky paste, thus dragging on levers and bolt. I don't know if this was put in at the time of manufacture or added at a later date, but some of the grease that I have found inside locks has turned a horrible green colour and set really hard.
    So I think whatever your view, everyone has their own opinions I guess.
    It is for this very reason that techs now only put on just a bit between moving parts. A good Synthetic grease will not break down near as fast as the older grease and even in a sheen smear (few thousands at most) it will not cause a whole lot of problems over time even if nobody did anything else.

Default Manifoil Lubrication

I have asked our HoL librarian volunteers to put a couple of documents relating to the Manifoil rebuild lubrication instruction No. 35. into the public on-line library. Bear in mind that the lock would have been completely striped and ultrasonically cleaned. If you don’t already have a password and login for the HoL site email at the prompt. http://historyoflocks.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1255

Thanks Brian,
    Looks like grease and WD40 both have their place in the servicing of various locks.
    Tim

Default Lock servicing

Talking about a Shell Petroleum product, I have used Vaseline when servicing safe moving parts, eg Espagnolette boltwork, follower & spindle.

It has a nice viscocity, not too thick nor runny. It's also good on chapped lips!!

Any further comments?

Regards
    Russell

Withy Grove (Leeds) Ltd
    t: 044 (0)113 2721441
    www.wgsafesonline.com

Quote Originally Posted by jacobrules View Post
    I know S&G used to specify a GE Versilube lubricating grease on their safe locks but have lately swiched allegiance to a similar Shell Petroleum product. GE seems to have sold off that division to a company called Novaguard and their Versilube is what I have been using for quite a few years. It is not as pertinent to a flat key lock but should work well to lubricate the sliding mechanism of the bolt and less is more.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Morland View Post
    I have asked our HoL librarian volunteers to put a couple of documents relating to the Manifoil rebuild lubrication instruction No. 35. into the public on-line library.
    Clearly, two pages from a larger document; is there any chance the entire document could be scanned and added to the library?

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    Clearly, two pages from a larger document; is there any chance the entire document could be scanned and added to the library?
    I simply added another reference to the topic of this thread which I felt was useful. I’d be a little uncomfortable making the whole document public without permission as technically it’s still under copyright, but will check. I’m sure these locks are going to be sought after collectors’ items of the future.

Thread Information