Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Safe interior restoration

Tried searching the best I could but didn't find anything relating to restoring the wooden panels and drawers inside old-time safes.

Is there a location, person, etc where I can find more information on such - i.e.
    how to remove the current panels without destroying them.

Is there a procedure to follow to get them out intact... ?

I have a friend who I'm sure could build ne a couple replacement drawers and panels section, if I can get the original apart safely.

Thanks
    Rog
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Interior - close up.JPG   Front exterior.JPG   Door interior.JPG  

I have always assumed that they were glued in - or are they sometimes screwed in?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    I have always assumed that they were glued in - or are they sometimes screwed in?
    now that is my whole reason for asking - since I've had that awful tendency to assume I knew what to do and then screwed myself by going where no man should go...

But this appears to be incredibly well crafted what with the tendon joints, etc.

I would also lean to glued in. The one safe I have removed the inner box to fit a new one was glued in and that was an 1920s safe. I don't remember the brand. Used a heat gun to get the glue hot and scrape it out but the old box wasn't worth saving being it was damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Halflock View Post
    I would also lean to glued in. The one safe I have removed the inner box to fit a new one was glued in and that was an 1920s safe. I don't remember the brand. Used a heat gun to get the glue hot and scrape it out but the old box wasn't worth saving being it was damaged.
    I'm going to have to get my 300W light out and stick my head inside and see if I can figure this out.
    Hopefully I can get it rebuild as near original as possible.

I also came up with another pair of lock boxes and a drawer from a couple of old safes that got trashed and were headed for the crusher. The boxes are the same facing as mine but are a bit smaller in size, as is the drawer. The key to my safe lock box does fit one of these other lock boxes as well, so who knows I might try to incoroprate that box into the rebuild project.

Meantime I'll keep searching the world wide web and see if I can get lucky and find some old schematics/blueprints of the interior design for this or some other antique safe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Extra lock boxes & drawer.JPG  
    Last edited by Rog; 07-02-12 at 05:46 PM.

If you put a 300w lamp in and semi-shut the door then I would imagine the glue would all soften over a few minutes or hours.

Won't dry heat cure glue? I would think to get glue to soften, you would want steam. I would think you might need to wet the glue and use a heat gun. I am assuming the glue is animal bone glue.

Either way, after you take it apart, I would have the inside made as close to the original as you can. I wouldn't take another salvaged cabinet and just put it in there. You may as well do it right. It is only a few pieces of wood.

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Looking at the pic close up, I don't see how they could have joined those wood pieces using glue. It looks like the shelves were designed to keep the sides in place. I think if you take the metal box out, you can pull the top of the side boards towards the center and everything would come out fairly easily.

I think this depends on the type of glue. Heat will soften some types (e.g. hot-gun glue) but will have no effect on other types. Moisture might loosen other types. I'm not sure what they used at the time for this purpose.

I know that my ancient cabinet maker (him not the cabinet) uses a hot iron for animal-glued veneer.

Haha. Tom is that to put the veneer on or take it off? Those woodworkers have some strange tricks and anyone who does that type of restoration would know how to soften old glue.

Thread Information