Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If a bit of veneer is bubbled then he heats it up with an iron and a damp cloth until he puts some weight on to push the veneer back down and then leaves it until it is cold and the glue is holding the veneer in place again.

Default Interior cabinet removal

Rog, i want to raise a possible suggestion for the interior wood panel removal.

On the 1st image you show, it looks like the internal coffer is an add on.. un-bolt & remove.
    I noticed that this is bowing the woodwork somewhat.

In addition, I noticed that at the top, between the wood lining & the safe, there appears to be a half plank of timber. If this is the case, then, by removing that one piece, it should release pressure on the innards. The top 'should' simply slide out by pulling, followed by easy removal of the sides, then its base.

Please correct me if Im wrong..

Regards
    Russell Stoner
    Withy Grove (Leeds) Ltd
    t: 044 (0)113 2721441
    www.wgsafesonline.com

I havent seen a metal coffer inside a wooden support before but the size seems so good that it may possibly be original. From the picture, as good as I can see, there were not two drawers on the left at the top originally, so this reinforces that possibility.
    I see no plank at the top. In order to insert three pieces altogether after the steel of the safe was made, I suspect that the two sides, at the botton, slide towards the middle, while the top piece would be bowed to allow it to come out. Another possibility is that the two sides come out first and then the top drops down. Either way, thr central wood part would need to be removed first and the glue dealt with, if in evidence.

The inner coffer
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Stoner View Post
    Rog, i want to raise a possible suggestion for the interior wood panel removal.

On the 1st image you show, it looks like the internal coffer is an add on.. un-bolt & remove.
    I noticed that this is bowing the woodwork somewhat.

In addition, I noticed that at the top, between the wood lining & the safe, there appears to be a half plank of timber. If this is the case, then, by removing that one piece, it should release pressure on the innards. The top 'should' simply slide out by pulling, followed by easy removal of the sides, then its base.

Please correct me if Im wrong..

Regards
    Russell Stoner
    Withy Grove (Leeds) Ltd
    t: 044 (0)113 2721441
    www.wgsafesonline.com

Thread Information