Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Extra washer inside safe door behind access panel?

Ok. So I took off the access panel on my old HHM safe and on the bottom of the door was a large washer for about a 5/8 bolt. It seemed way to large for any of the bolts of the mechanism and there weren't any of that size anywhere on the safe. It didn't fall out of the mechanism and didn't appear to be missing from anywhere. The only thing I can think of is they put a washer in the center of the door just as in indicator so they would be able to tell if the safe was shifted. It's not like they had all kinds of extra spare parts in there, so why that one?

Was there a hole in the back plate for the change key hole? Does it have a change key hole in the lock? It might have been a washer to go between the lock and the back plate around the change key hole. I know I have seen that before. The glue gives up and the washer drops.

No change key hole. The access panel is solid with no holes at all. The back of the lock mechanism has a small access door on it also with the combo rings. The only thing it looks like it might be big enough for is the main bolt with the handle attached. But the nut on there was punched on two sides to keep it from working loose. And it looks like it was never removed.

Thread Information