Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Strauss Vault Door made by York

Here is a York door in lower Manhatten based on an Emil Strauss 1907 patent # 869,992. It has a solid plate thickness of 29" and has Yale combination locks and timelock. The left hand timelock case is only a cover for the lock and timelock linkage. Compare this door to next one, a step brother Strauss door made by Mosler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0135.jpg   DSCN0137.jpg   DSCN0138.jpg   DSCN0140.jpg   DSCN0139.jpg  

Default Another Strauss Door Made by Mosler

This is the Mosler 25" inch Strauss door in downtown Cincinnati. It is the same basic door style but shows the differences due to the maker. Both of these doors were probably made around the 1920's. Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 009_9.JPG   Mos 1.JPG   Mos 3.JPG   Mos 5.JPG   Mos 4.JPG  

I stumbled across the patent for this, US patent 869,992 by Emil A. Strauss, 11/5/1907.

Here you go.
    Attached Files Attached Files

In the first Manhattan picture there is a gigantic wrench resting against the doorway. Any idea what that's for?

and the four spoked handle to the right side of the safe too??

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    and the four spoked handle to the right side of the safe too??
    I expect that handwheel operates the mechanism which lifts part of the floor out of the way so the door can be opened and closed. If so, it may also move the ramp that provides a flat walking surface over the sill.

I would like to see an example of the key that would have been used to open the inner round glass door that gives access to the time locks, if anyone can help.
    I know i wouldn't want to be on the business end of that wrench...
    It looks like there is a hole in the glass of the same access door, just to the right of the time pieces and at the same level as their knobs. Any thoughts(or guesses) on what that might be?

What was the diameter of these doors? I've heard that 8 feet was common. They are tapered, so is that the outside or inside diameter? I'm pondering whether to make a scale model; if so, most of the dimensions would be taken from the patent drawing and photographs.

That sounds about right for the outer diameter of the thinner round doors. I know OD and ID aren't measurements I would normally have taken but I think I may have once or twice. Making a model sounds like a great idea! I have considered it but my Sherline lathe is bit too small for a decent size model. Having access to a door near you would be ideal but limits your choices. Have you picked a door? Doug

Thread Information