Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Identifying Yale Lock

I recently acquired this lock. It looks to be a lock for a cabinet door. It is roughly 1 3/4 inch square. The key is marked Yale and Towne and has 2N5 stamped on it. The latch has the number 5 stamped in it. Could it be a slot machine, vending machine or penny scale lock? Thanks for any help on age and/or use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yale1.jpg   yale2.jpg   yale3.jpg   yale4.jpg   yale6.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by dwagner825 View Post
    I recently acquired this lock. It looks to be a lock for a cabinet door. It is roughly 1 3/4 inch square. The key is marked Yale and Towne and has 2N5 stamped on it. The latch has the number 5 stamped in it. Could it be a slot machine, vending machine or penny scale lock? Thanks for any help on age and/or use.
    Yale Catalog No. 26 ca. 1929 on page 165 shows a No. 2222 sub-treasury lock which is very similar although the case of yours looks more like the R381 at the top of the page, but yours has a spring bolt. I believe a sub-treasury lock was typically used on the inner compartment of a safe, but could have myriad other applications. See page image at the thumbnail.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YaleCat26Pg165.jpg  

Thread Information